Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: what would you choose  (Read 6260 times)

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: what would you choose
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 07:19:00 AM »
iroks did wear quickly. but they'll bet your Toyos in the mud, and they are great in the snow.... two things that Alberta has a lot of.......... 'all around' tire, probably not, but out here, they aren't a bad choice.

Ahhhhh.....the song of the "I-Rock" fanboi....

Don't ya just wish that someone made 26 inch Irocs for yer ZJ Johnny?

Jeff, for a trailer queen, I'll vote for the bias ply pitbull rockers....just don't tell Kev I said that.

If you're driving it to the trail....Toyos...or the MT/R Kevlar's if the Toyo's don't float yer boat.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 07:24:30 AM »
Ahhhhh.....the song of the "I-Rock" fanboi....

Don't ya just wish that someone made 26 inch Irocs for yer ZJ Johnny?

i would run em on a trail rig in a heart beat.  but my stocker ZJ won't fit a set of 36s... and the 33s were quite costly... might as well buy toyos ;)
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 07:30:05 AM »
I've been running Rockers for about 3-4 years now and I love them! YOu NEED beadlock to run with them though. They run best at 4lbs or a little less.

I will be running Toyos Opencountry MT next because I got a great deal (Thanks again Bill) and they are great tires also and I don't do mud...

If I have the choice to buy new I would buy Rockers again ...which are smaller...they measure 38"

Offline Joel

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Super Uber Web Wheeler
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 08:03:02 AM »
If money were not an issue and it's a dedicated trail rig........I would be running stupid sticky Red Label Krawlers  ;D or the equivelent Compitition grade Toyo's.

Just prepare to replace the set each season.
03 TJ - 6" body lift and 31 MTR's, other wise stock.

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 09:06:12 AM »
Goodyear silentarmors.

You said you would pimp the Fierce Attitude tires that JK guys love. Barbed  wire sidewall design for the win...or the gayness  :-*
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 01:25:37 PM »
im shocked no one has said

MAXXIS creepy crawlers
MAXXIS trepador
or BFG KM2

so from what i see
its

1-toyo MT
2-pitbull rockers
3-iroks
4-good year kevlar

thanks for all the input i got some thinking to do .. 

jeep isnt going to be a daily driver anymore so KM's will be only 2 and from the trail . maybe a couple sundays here or there for fun

so i need something to last  but one day it will be on a trailer .

04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 01:42:03 PM »
iroks did wear quickly. but they'll bet your Toyos in the mud, and they are great in the snow.... two things that Alberta has a lot of.......... 'all around' tire, probably not, but out here, they aren't a bad choice.

you do realize that when I won the safari challenge in 2009 which is primarily a mud comp by the way, I did it on 38 inch toyo's. Joey was in there on 42 inch iroks, eric was on 42 inch tsl, spots old rig was on 40 inch boggers.

Dava has video of me one shotting double up in the dead of winter. It took joey 4 tries to follow me on his iroks, tyler winched it on boggers, and welsy thrashed on it for almost a half hour before finally catching a lucky line.

Joey and I have wheeled together for years, and neither of us have ever noted a noticeable advantage to iroks in mud over toyo's.

To answer jeffs question, red label creepy's for offroad, toyo's or mtrs for multipurpose, some version of swamper if you cant afford a better quality tire.............................
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 01:47:09 PM »
One thing I'll throw out there....

Unless you're going to trailer it, a hard-core trail tire may make you cringe sometimes. I know that Dom loves his pitbulls...but hates running 'em on pavement. Kev loves hit Pitbulls, but he drives out to the camp site with a set of Duratracs on, then pulls his Pitbulls out of the Travois....er...Burrow....er....trailer and then switches back at the end of the weekend.

If you're going to trailer when you go anywhere more than 100 km away, I wouldn't hesitate to go with Irocs or Pitbulls or Krawlers. If you're still going to want to drive it down to Coleman (or Moab  :)) to go wheeling...maybe Toyos aren't such a bad choice. They wear very well if you watch your pressure and rotate them, and their road manners are actaully pretty civilized (even though Fraser keeps complaining about how noisy mine are....but that might be caused by him spending all his time with Yota people).
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline calltrex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 01:54:21 PM »
I would buy full trepadors for rockcrawlin

But for Calgary wheeling my 37 irocks rocked.  Very very rare I got stuck or couldn't do something

I had radials and bias 37s

Was out with bills toyos lots and they worked excellent too
........___________
.......//.......""""......\\
....=//___________\\=
.....(@)___JEEP_(__@)
......\____I===I____/
.../""""/........J
../""""/=(=)___....../""""/
./___/............==/""""/
....................../___

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 02:35:36 PM »
I was less than impressed with my set of KM2's after buying my MTR-K's. KM2 is a great tire choice if you want great road manners in a mud tire that performs reasonably well. MTR is a great choice if you want great offroad performance that does street driving well. MTR-K so far has held its own against most every other tire I have seen out there. It is a great jack of all trades, near master of many
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 04:54:36 PM by Jrama »

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 02:55:56 PM »
I'm changing my answer.

Rock some bF goodrich krawlers. Best street/trail tire I've owned. And even you can account to how well they work in mud and they were awesome in the winter.

I'm gonna sell my iroks now. Gotta find me a big set of krawlers.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 02:57:38 PM by AV.NINE »

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 09:29:53 PM »
41" pitbull rocker radial? 40" goodyear mtr/k are pretty popular. it may come down to whats available when you're looking for tires. i was just at the costco in deerfoot meadows and they had a set of the 40" bfg km2. didnt ask for the price but they had 5 of them there. the goodyears seem to be hard to come by in the popular sizes.   
red labels are extra pricey. if off road only id look at the 39" pitbulls. the yseem to work out here pretty well. maybe a TSL SX and groove the heck out of the tread. get all creative. last i looked at maxxis tires they were mega-bucks more then any other tire in a similar size.
so many options these days. find a cheap set of ground-hawgs, just to be different.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 09:56:45 PM »
Maxxis comp Trepadors or comp Creepy Crawlers
http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLight-Truck/Competition.aspx
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:04:41 PM by esi »
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.

Offline Tyn Pow

• Budget Lift
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 01:23:49 AM »
THORNBIRDS!

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2011, 04:04:39 PM »

Dava has video of me one shotting double up in the dead of winter. It took joey 4 tries to follow me on his iroks, tyler winched it on boggers, and welsy thrashed on it for almost a half hour before finally catching a lucky line.

That's because you slicked it up for them.  ;) ;D
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!