Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Prep and Paint Bare Steel - Rock Sliders  (Read 2343 times)

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
Prep and Paint Bare Steel - Rock Sliders
« on: October 24, 2011, 03:00:07 PM »
I have read many informative articles of how to do this, but was wondering what was working for you guys here in Calgary. I'm looking to prep and paint some rock sliders (the Currie Rock Ribz ones I got from Poison Spyder).  There is some minor surface rust which I was going to grind off with a brisle brush disk, and if that didn't work I was going to use a flap disk.  Then after that I'm uncertain of what to do as there are a few options out there...
Let me know what you think.
Thanks
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Prep and Paint Bare Steel - Rock Sliders
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 03:03:34 PM »
I have read many informative articles of how to do this, but was wondering what was working for you guys here in Calgary. I'm looking to prep and paint some rock sliders (the Currie Rock Ribz ones I got from Poison Spyder).  There is some minor surface rust which I was going to grind off with a brisle brush disk, and if that didn't work I was going to use a flap disk.  Then after that I'm uncertain of what to do as there are a few options out there...
Let me know what you think.
Thanks

Wipe down with acetone, primer, paint. THIN COATS.

Good to go.

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 03:15:21 PM »
Any suggestions on what primer and paint to use?  Maybe that Hammer dent stuff you used on your stinger?
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 04:11:43 PM »
Any self-etching primer will do.

Since this is for sliders, use a cheap paint, and one that's easy to get. You'll be touching it up lots. I've had good results with the "rubberized rocker guard" paint stuff from Ukranian tire. It's cheap, has a texture kinda like bedliner, and is easy to touch up. Hit the gouged area with a wire wheel and the shoot a touch up on top of it. I've done my diff covers, front skid plate, and rear bumper with the stuff. Because it's got a flex agent in it, it doesn't seem to chip as bad as other paints when the grit from the road hits it.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 06:45:21 PM »
I was leaning towards that option, but it can be tough to get an even coat with that stuff. Mind you I guess that doesn't matter much for this application.
Any other other tips or advice?

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 06:53:26 PM »
Any other other tips or advice?

Paint it in a warm and ventilated garage. Wear gloves, eye protection, and  reasonable breathing apparatus .
The other fellas already got all the bases covered.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 07:14:47 PM »
I like the Tremclad Pro paint, semi-gloss black (regular Tremclad fades in no time)
Tough, easy to get and easy to touch up.

Vince
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 01:31:36 AM »
Best tip I can give is sell the Jeep, and buy something good on mileage, comes pre-painted, and doesnt require mods or armor. A honda Civic comes to mind.

Otherwise, if you keep the jeep to mod it, and waste gas ;) , Then Todd Noel, Justin and Vince have all given you great advice. Heed this and dont spend a ton of money on paint that can be better spent on tools to fix the jeep, because the rockerz are no doubt going to get beaten out there :)
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline scott slade

• UberWheeler
  • Amboy... Route 66
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 07:38:36 AM »
Nothing wrong with taking pride in the way your ride looks...!!!!   Some of us hit the trails hard and beat the Jeep to near breaking point, some of us hit the trails and find a point to get out and hike.   I have done a lot of body work over the years....  the main thing is the prep work....!!!!  But they are right, your sliders will take a beating, so just get ready to paint them often.  Tremclad is the best bang for the buck... 
2005 LJ, Six Speed,
 16" Moab Rims
HD Broadcast Video Production Unit

Offline Black Betty

• UberWheeler
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 08:16:10 AM »
There is an automotive paint supplier right on the west side of manhattan rd se just south of 42 ave across from acklands.

They carry the raptor liner and the gun required for about $149.  This is the route I'm going with my bare steel sliders.  Speak with them, they have a very knowledgeable staff and can fit you up with everything you need.

The raptor liner kit has enough to do the sliders and the inside of your tub if you wish.
06 wk-soccer mom mobile aka Betty J
99 xj- Black Betty, 2" OME lift
94 yj- needs to be lifted aka Betty Rubble

Stupid hurts

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 11:29:59 AM »
Or you can go with the lazy option and pay Chanda to finish fabbing and then have Rhino Liner coat the rails and back to Chanda for the install. Lol or maybe that is the best route for the guy who just had back surgery 6 months ago lol

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 01:53:50 PM »
Appreciate all the advice!  I'm not so much worried about making it look pretty and spending big coin to achieve this, but more worried about protecting them from rust.  Which it seems as though the Tremclad Professional Rust Primer and Enamel will do the trick for this!

Best tip I can give is sell the Jeep, and buy something good on mileage, comes pre-painted, and doesnt require mods or armor. A honda Civic comes to mind.
Otherwise, if you keep the jeep to mod it, and waste gas ;) , Then Todd Noel, Justin and Vince have all given you great advice. Heed this and dont spend a ton of money on paint that can be better spent on tools to fix the jeep, because the rockerz are no doubt going to get beaten out there :)
Not worried about any of the issues you raised here!  I love my Jeep, love working on it and love spending my hard earned money it (although the wife does not... MEH!). Mostly I just want to make sure I do things right the first time so that I don't screw things up royally and then wined up spending more time and more money on it had I just asked a few questions.