Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: new Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee - 2013  (Read 4460 times)

Offline rcktgirl

• Stocker
new Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee - 2013
« on: April 18, 2011, 09:14:40 AM »
hello everyone

I'm planning on buying a new Jeep Grand Cherokee near the end of this year or the new year of 2012. I just read online that Jeep will be making the Grand Cherokee diesel in 2013. So here is my question....is diesel really that much better? My stepdad has a VW golf (diesel) and he absolutely loves it because it goes 1000km's on one tank of gas. So aside to having better fuel milege, what other benefits does a diesel have? Is it worth waiting another year?

Thanks!
Stella

Offline Raspberry

• Budget Lift
  • Do what you love, the rest will follow.
Re: new Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee - 2013
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
Some other common traits of diesel engines is they offer a lot of torque, which is great for towing, off-roading, hauling groceries etc. The pulling power of diesel's is fantastic :)
DECEASED - 'Big Ben' (black '97 XJ) : ~9" lift - 35's - Ford 9" - 4.56 gears - armoured up - ...and a sound system that can annoy the hell out of Lemon-aid Jay!!
NEXT - Dark green '98 XJ to build up....

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:39:41 PM »
find a dealer that has the new GC with the hemi and drive it. then check out their used lot for an older GC with the 3.0L diesel. drive them and compare. ive driven plenty of both. for al around use id go with the hemi, but the diesel is a close second. the maintenance on the diesel will always be more money. dont even bother with the 3.6L v6. i had a good long drive in one last week and i was disapointed. although it was in a journey.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 05:52:18 AM »
Also, if it's something you want to get into. You can brew your own biodiesel in your garage.
Companies out of the States sell the kits, and supposedly get your fuel cost down to US$1/Gallon. As opposed to the $US4-5 it is now.

Winter time requires a fuel additive to keep the diesel from gelling. And plug it in colder than -10.
Plus your performance mods are more plentiful and more noticeable. Intake, exhaust, injectors, tuner, water/meth injection, bigger turbos, more fuel, yadda, yadda.

From what I recall, the 3.0L Common Rail does have an intake and exhaust kit available, and I think someone makes a tuner for it too. You'll never get to 500+ horse like the pickup trucks can get, but every little bit counts, and the bonus, at highway speeds is when its most efficient.

Now only if it came with a stick, like it does in Europe... :'(
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 08:45:34 AM »
Advantages of diesel?

Better fuel effeciency
More reliabile....well it depends
Longer engine life
Better for towing
(highway driving Effeciency wise)
More space between required services
Higher resale value compared to other models
....anymore?

Disadvantages?

More expensive maintenance
(Diesel is just as expensive as gasoline to buy at the pump)
you might not like the characteristics of the engine
....anybody got more

I'd only wait for the diesel if you really have your sights set on it, if you were not even considering it before, you probably won't miss having it.

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 07:57:14 AM »
one of my biggest pet peeves with a diesel...... finding a gas station that sells diesel, it does appear it has gotten better over the past couple of years though.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline rcktgirl

• Stocker
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 10:14:54 AM »
thank you for all the replies. My stepdad has a VW Golf diesel and he raves about it but it's a tiny little car. I have never really considered a diesel before so I guess I won't really know the difference. I did however drive a friends diesel truck up to Edmonton towing a trailer and 3 bikes. It sucked the gas right up so I'm not sure if it was just his truck or if it really is like that.

I don't drive my vehicle often as I take public transit to work M-F. I only drive my vehicle to my night job and over the winter as I ride my motorcycle all summer. So in the grand scheme of things, fuel efficiency isn't really my highest concern. Just wanted to know if it's worth the wait or if I should just pick up the new vehicle at the beginning of 2012

Offline Unknown303

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 10:02:37 AM »
I want a diesel wrangler so bad it hurts.   But that is a dream that just won't happen.  They offered the diesel in the GC before and dropped it, I wonder if this time they'll keep it around for a few more years.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 10:32:05 AM »
get one with a hemi then.  much better for the shortish commutes. the diesel won't like the winters as much either. 

drool
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline 96Cherokee

• Winch Wench
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 09:40:34 PM »
I want a diesel wrangler so bad it hurts.   But that is a dream that just won't happen. 

I feel your pain!!!

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 09:53:36 PM »
Diesels like to be worked. Idling and short commutes are really bad for them so if you do a lot of this don't get a diesel.

Check the specs on it, I didn't think that the fuel economy specs for the diesel Grand Cherokee and and Liberty were all that great.

Also there is currently a shortage on diesel so the current pump price is about $1.30/L. That kinda takes the savings away.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 10:10:06 PM »
I looked at both when I bought my grand. The diesel is great if you do lots of driving, which you don't. The hemi is not that bad on fuel if you dont drive it like you stole it. The 2012 also has a six speed auto which it didn't have in 2011. Go with the hemi if you want power and the Pentastar if you want slightly better economy with golf cart like performance.  I'm sure the wrangler is great with the 3.6 but the grand is a dog. Just my two cents

Offline big black dodge

• Budget Lift
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 07:39:51 AM »
diesel pros's:
better fuel economy
ton's of low end torque
motors last for ever if properly maintained
high resale - just looks at what the 3L diesel GC's are worth compare to a hemi GC

cons:
higher maintenance costs - holds roughly twice as much oil and has a water separator / fuel filter
if you have problems with injectors, they are expensive (3K for a CR Cummins)
the emission systems on the new diesel are retardly complex, expensive, and hurt fuel economy

Diesel fuel prices will drop back down soon when the hydrogen (?) shortages stop
I have never had a problem finding diesel, even superstore has diesel in most places

If I was you, grab a hemi or even a SRT8 GC  :o
81 CJ7 350, SM 465, Dana 300,  dual dana 44, 4" lift, soon 33" TSL

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 09:44:46 AM »
Any necroposters realize the original poster last logged on here back in May?  ;)
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com