Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Crack Head  (Read 933 times)

Offline Thunder

• Winch Wench
Crack Head
« on: December 10, 2011, 08:03:21 PM »
Thought I'd share this one heh. Just bought a 2000 TJ Sahara only to find after 1000km the head is cracked. First noticed the problem at a stop sign outside modern motors today as I was picking up my lift kit (cheer) Anyways I look down at the dash and see the check gauges light on and notice my oil pressure is at 0. So I stomp the gas and get a few PSI back, why it's in kPa up here and not psi I'll never know. You multiply by 7 right? Haha. So of course by now I'm concerned, coolant is good, engine temp is fine. So I check the interweb on my smart phone and the first search result is "2000 TJ cracked cylinder head" great. Wow this is too long... So anyways my coolant is low in the res. the underside of my oil fill cap looks like chocolate milk, I can smell coolant in the engine bay, and there is a damp spot between the 3rd and 4th injector.  :'(
From what ive read on the net this is pretty common. Anyone here had this problem? I'm just going to replace the head and hope for the best. The engine runs fine, minus the oil pressure dropping off.
Anyone think of anything else?

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Crack Head
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 08:47:24 PM »
Don't drive it till you fix it. Running with A/F in the oil will toast your bearings pretty quick!

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Thunder

• Winch Wench
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 09:09:23 PM »
Yeah I figured as much. I drove home from work today and went straight into Calgary. About 400km, my thoughts are that it's been cracked for a while. The PO that I bought from said he just had the Tstat replaced. He told me it was past due on a service. The oil was dark but nothing crazy... Maybe me and jeeps just don't mix haha

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 07:13:20 PM »
You multiply by 7 right?

yeah it's pretty much multiply by 7.

1 psi = 6.895 kPa

Anyways I look down at the dash and see the check gauges light on and notice my oil pressure is at 0.

but any number times zero is still zero :P
2003 TJ
"Your TJ has the aerodynamics of a brick"
"if you lose the stick, chances are you'll lose the jeep......"