Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 03 Rubi Stock Lockers  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Silver Troll

• Stocker
03 Rubi Stock Lockers
« on: January 25, 2012, 12:58:22 PM »
I used the search function and found only one other thread discussing this type of problem. The thread was from 2009 and did not get resolved and the author is no longer registered on the forum under that name so I am starting a new one.

I have a 2003 Rubicon and there seems to be a problem with engaging the stock lockers. When in 4L, I hit the switch and the "rear locker" light will flash but not turn solid. I tap the switch again and the "front locker" light will come on with the rear light and both will flash. Sometimes I can get the front locker light to turn solid but the rear will stay flashing. Occasionally the front locker light will turn flashing again...

I always engage the lockers in 4L after putting the jeep in neutral (its an automatic dangit). This problem does not change no matter what gear I am in, including reverse, whether at a stand still or at slow speeds.

At first I thought it was the -30 weather but the problem still exists even with this +5 snap we have.

Any insight, suggestions, or links to info would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: 03 Rubi Stock Lockers
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 05:37:19 PM »
That sounds like a leaking air line, check them all, including the ones inside the diff.

Vince
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 06:00:17 PM »
mine used to do the same thing ..   for the most part the locker would always engage even if the light is flashing the light is just hooked to a sensor and if it is dirty then theres a good chance its just not reading it .

can you confirm your lockers are engaging . but the lights still flash ..

after figuring out that they were infact locked  i would just keep driving    never bothered me the lights
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline Silver Troll

• Stocker
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 11:47:21 AM »
Thats what I think. I think it may be dirty sensors. I will test it out on this saturdays run, but it feels like they are locking... I'll go over the air lines as well.

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 10:13:20 AM »
If the lights flash, it's very likely the air compressor (one for each diff) is running continuously. So, a leaky air line.

In the driveway, engage the rear locker, pop your head behind the tcase, the pumps are on a little tray bolted to the skid plate, behind the tcase.
Take a spray bottle of windex, save the windex, fill with water, and a little bit of sunlight dishsoap, shake, and spray soapy water on the airlines, compressor, and connection to diff. If you see growing bubbles, there is your leak.

Or, and it's a known problem, the pump body isn't all that serviceable, the body is plastic. The nipple that the airline connects to could be broken off. If the lights on the dash are flashing, are your lockers actually engaging? To test, put one side of the axle on a jackstand, engage the locker, you shouldn't be able to turn the lifted wheel. Hand turning the wheel wont engage the limited slip in the rear.

The two pumps have their rubber hoses running to the diffs, there is a blowoff line that T-'s into the other pump body as well. Four bolts hold the tray down, and the tray can be pulled down, and there is barely enough slack in the electric wires and hoses to visually inspect.

There is also an electrical two-wire connection at the diff, the signal from the dash turns on the pump, and shuts off the pump when the circuit is closed in the diff when the locker is engaged.
Mud can play havoc in that area behind the tcase, and at the diff connections. Both electrical and pneumatic.

Good luck, the air hoses are an odd size, but the pumps themselves are a little lax in the quality dept. And they are expensive to replace. Hopefully the pumps are sound, and it's just a simple fix for you. Good luck!

For what it's worth, I have a leaky front hose, and the pump runs semi-continuously. Since I engage the front so rarely, I'm not all that concerned about it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:17:34 AM by Elsifer »
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 06:55:03 PM »
mine did that as well. putting it into reverse seemed to make it stop flashing. Sometimes i would go 1st gear fwd and than reverse to get it to light up solid.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.