Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Airbags & after market bumpers?  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Spike

• Baby Wheeler
  • Moab
Airbags & after market bumpers?
« on: May 06, 2012, 08:55:58 PM »
Hi Guys, 

After this weekend's jeep run I am seriously considering getting an after market bumper...how inportant are the crash cans, do they affect the airbag system and what effect does an after market bumber have on the air bag system?

Thanks.

Offline Moezer

• That CB Yapper
Re: Airbags & after market bumpers?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 09:10:51 PM »
i would get an after market bumper first they make it look better and 2d ull have to hit it even harder then normal for it to pop the air bags i think 3d u wont get alot of damage but who ever u hit or hits u will get it bad

Offline jkrubi

• Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 10:21:51 PM »
They dont affect the air bag system at all as there are no sensors in the bumpers. Their is a g switch somewhere inside of the jeep.  The crush cans are just that crush cans, they help to slow the jeep down in a collision and slow down the forces to you.  
For the jk is a plastic bumper and a bit of metal behind of the plastic and that's it's for the bumpers ( front and rear) maybe weigh about 5 lbs if your lucky.  For offroading go with a steel or aluminum one, they give you a jacking point and good recovery points. And on a plus side they will give you better protection from the ground/ trees/ or vechicles.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:03:57 AM by jkrubi »

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 10:50:32 PM »
They dont affect the air bag system at all as there are no sensors in the bumpers.

This.

Doesn't matter what bumper you buy, there will be no effect on the airbags.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 11:00:52 PM »
The nice thing about a good, strong aftermarket bumper is it won't bend in a collision, it will transfer the energy and bend the frame instead.

/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline CatSplat

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 06:25:09 PM »
The nice thing about a good, strong aftermarket bumper is it won't bend in a collision, it will transfer the energy and bend the frame instead.

Quite true. Similarly, by eliminating the crush areas of the OEM bumper, the solid-steel bumper cannot deform as easily during in impact and thus cannot ablate the vehicle's deceleration during said impact. Thus, the minimum frontal impact speed necessary to trigger the airbag g-sensor is actually lowered by installing a rigid aftermarket bumper.
Jeep of Theseus

Offline Spike

• Baby Wheeler
  • Moab
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 08:35:38 PM »

Thanks, I think I am going to put an ARB bumper...I have been told they are designed to meet manufacturer's specs.