Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Spinoff - expeditions  (Read 1997 times)

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
Spinoff - expeditions
« on: May 10, 2012, 12:56:09 AM »

Spinoff from Anton's post, any expeditions you really liked? Currently watching? Epic failed expeditions?
Spinoff came from the guy's snowmobiling trip while all others could barely even hunker down in survival mode and the other guy flying a crappy plane through the worst possible conditions. A previous post of that expedition described someone crossing the bearing straight in a little fishing boat! ... So many people doing exciting things...while we carry on in the rat race...

My all time favorite has to be this one  ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1LyAd0rPGg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

One I'm currently following

http://homeonthehighway.com

Just today I learned of a guy who cycled 30,000 km over 2.5 years, amazing stories! And a lady who jumped ship to ship traveling the world at her own pace...

What you got to share?
Jeep
With stuff

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Spinoff - expeditions
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 10:05:02 AM »
Some that I would like to do.

Canol trail from Ross river Yk to Norman wells Nwt. Last time known completion in  Jeep was about 1970. Lots of attempts  of lately, most people run out of time.  Land rover club almost made it to the twitya river. Some local toyota guys trying as well as some local bike guys trying this summer. Time frame, two weeks to months to complete? style Bring your own boat to get your jeep back.

Second would be the old highway from Mayo Yk to Eagle plains Yk. Build by the oil companies to bring drilling supplies in to eagle plains in the early fifties. Used for a couple of years then abandened when the goverment build a road to Inuvik a couple years later.

And an easy one. Take the old highway from Slave Lake ab to Grourod (sp) ab. It goes around the north shore of Lesser Slave lake. Abandened in late forties?  Did part if it. Time frame couple of days to a week.

Sent from my I junk

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 01:03:55 PM »
I know who to call to get your Jeep back from Norman Wells via barge on the river. We deal with them once every couple of years when a client of ours does work at their facility in Norman Wells. It's actually not all that hard to arrange.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline LukeDuke

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 01:22:39 PM »

And an easy one. Take the old highway from Slave Lake ab to Grourod (sp) ab. It goes around the north shore of Lesser Slave lake. Abandened in late forties?  Did part if it. Time frame couple of days to a week.

Where would a guy find some info on this trail? Would make a great starter run to gear up for some onger ones in the future.
1967 C101 - in 1,000,000 pieces
1973 C104 - in 2,000,000 pieces

RDJP President
http://www.reddeerjeep.com/

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 02:32:31 PM »
Just went to google maps and there are now 2 wildland parks that the trail goes through. The original trail started right at the end of popler cresent in the lake front cabin community at the very north end of Lesser Slave lake provincial park just north of Slave Lake.
You can follow the trail on google earth and it is within a mile or so of the lake all the way on the north side going west. Wonder if there is still legal access?  Damm srd ministers.

Sent from my I junk

Offline LukeDuke

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 04:33:47 PM »
Looks like it is called the "Grouard Peace River Trail" and is part of the Trans Canada Trail system. So im guessing no OHV.
1967 C101 - in 1,000,000 pieces
1973 C104 - in 2,000,000 pieces

RDJP President
http://www.reddeerjeep.com/

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 10:59:24 AM »
Grouard Peace River Trail"   That would be the next trail going west. Trying to research wildlands access and sounds like it is up to the local id or md to make rules for access, so sounds like existing trails are still open in that area.  Would not do this one unless I had a land anchor as trail is all sand and some ugly sand at creek crossings and no trees strong enough or to far away.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:05:21 AM by morerpmfred »