Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Head Scratcher  (Read 4812 times)

Offline yellowjeep101

• Budget Lift
Re: Head Scratcher
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 11:39:01 AM »
Thanks, I'm going to see him after work, I love the motor, just the jeep around it is being a B-*** to deal with

Offline yellowjeep101

• Budget Lift
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 07:20:52 PM »
Alright, still not fixed, tried resetting the timing, so I guess that could be crossed off the list of things it may be. But timing is on the right track. Any ideas?

Offline jkrubi

• Budget Lift
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 07:43:37 PM »
Did you check for vacuum leaks with quick start/propane or water? What way is the backfire going( intake or exhaust)? So a couple more ideas for you...... Did you change the plugs and wires ( gapped, no bad wires), cap and rotor? Could you have installed a bad one ( even if it's new). Find a set off a good runnin eng and try them. I've had bad plugs before ( new) and wires go bad ( old). Anything plugging the intake making it run rich? (dirty filter)
Not sure because it's stroked, do you have to run a different timing, or deg on the cam? Is that done correct?

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 07:59:38 PM »
Without a doubt it's the ecu.

Obviously who ever did up the engine would have reprogrammed the ecu to account for a longer stroke of the piston. The ecu is telling the plugs to fire prematurely accounting for the back fire. The longer stroke it takes the more the timing is off from factory. Because our engines don't have distributers, reprogramming the ecu is the ont way to change timing.

Without Brian's ecu you'll have to get yours programmed. Or just go get it from Chanda when they open tomorrow because the longer you run it like that the better chance you'll have of pooching that engine.

Unless what I'm saying has been said already... But change that ecu.

Offline yellowjeep101

• Budget Lift
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 09:10:39 PM »
Checked vacuum and all of the other things on that list, with brake clean and propane, checked timing, replaced tps sensor, spark gaps checked, I'm running low on ideas.

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 12:04:56 AM »
I could be mistaken, but I swear that engine had a distributor installed last time I saw it.
Jeep
With stuff

Offline yellowjeep101

• Budget Lift
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 04:06:09 PM »
Fixed, 02 sensors

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 06:20:33 PM »
I can honestly say, I didn't see that one. Well good to know anyway

Offline jandh

• UberWheeler
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 09:43:16 PM »
Fixed, 02 sensors

No F'n way, really??
1991 YJ

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 10:13:02 PM »
Doesn't surprise me one bit. I've seen so many weird symptoms in my (and other people's) Jeeps that are finally resolved once the o2 sensors are replaced.
Thankfully you got it sorted :)

Offline THE GOLD DIIGGER

• UberWheeler
  • This is cool lets see you do this.
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 11:12:29 PM »
Maybe a thanks is in order to the guy that fixed it for you ;) I told you it wasn't a ECM.