Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Replacement bulbs for fog lights  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Ddub1973

• Budget Lift
Replacement bulbs for fog lights
« on: May 01, 2012, 08:30:42 AM »
I am looking to brighten up my fog lights.  They are dull and yellowed compaired to my HID headlights.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can replace the factory fog light bulbs with?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:33:31 AM by Ddub1973 »
DDUB OIIIIO

2013 JKUR

Offline LEMON-AID JAY

• That CB Yapper
  • Bad a$$ zj owner
Re: Replacement bulbs for fog lights
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 08:50:06 AM »
I would have to check what bulb is used in your fogs but there is a good chance I have HID's for them. If not change them right out for LED's  ;D
E-mortal customs
Www.e-mortalcustoms.com
3-2808 Ogden road s.e.
E-mail. [email protected]
Phone 403-265-6669
E-mail @ [email protected]
for all your 4x4 needs

www.piratesof4x4.com

Offline Ddub1973

• Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 09:37:11 AM »
I'll check the bulb tonight.  Thanks.

How much will LED's set me back? :o
DDUB OIIIIO

2013 JKUR

Offline homeguy

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »
Get some Rigid Dually's and some BDF mounts.  You can get them both at Northridge.  The mounts are about $80 and the lights about $180.  You'll never have to replace a bulb again.
2010 Mountain Edition, ARB front and rear diff covers, BFG AT's, Vision X Solstice XILS4102 & Solo's, S-Pod switch bezel, K&N drop in filter, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Poison Spyder front bumper, OME 2" lift, Rigid Industries Dually's & D2's, M8000

Offline yyc_tbird_sc

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 01:02:01 AM »
Ditch the illegal/annoying HID bulbs, and go back to something that was designed to be in your headlights originally....then your fog lights won't look out of place
-'97 Ranger w/ 4" lift, 33" MTZ's, 4.56's, and some new sheet metal
-'89 Thunderbird SC - 285HP, 392ft/lbs [email protected]

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 07:35:55 AM »
Ditch the illegal/annoying HID bulbs, and go back to something that was designed to be in your headlights originally....then your fog lights won't look out of place

+1 on this. Putting an HID bulb in a bucket made for a halogen is bad juju. You just get light sprayed around everywhere, blind oncoming drivers, and don't get any real improvement in your ability to see things at night. That's why the cops can ticket you for running an HID bulb in a headlight that's not designed for it.

The factory fog lights are pretty much useless anyways. They are mostly for show - I've reprogrammed my computer to use the factory fog lights as my daytime running lights because that's the only thing that they don't suck at.

Do yourself a favor - upgrade both the headlights and the factory fogs. Replace the whole light when you upgrade. The JK factory headlights and the factory fogs are GARBAGE. The most cost-effective upgrade I've done to my JK has been to replace the factory buckets, bulbs, and wiring harness. Susquehanna Motorsports sells a kit for the JK that is completely "plug and play, and is less than $300. After installing that kit, my "plain jane" 55 watt halogen bulbs in good quality Hella H4 E-code headlights offer just as much usable light is the big-dollar HID projectors in my girlfriend's Audi. The cutoff line is just as sharp, and it throws just as far down the road. The only real difference is that my lights aren't a "cool" color. Oh....and it cost my one quarter of what a real HID projector setup would have.

Jay's suggestion to ditch your factory fogs for a set of LED's is smart. LED's will give your far more light for the same amount of electricity, will not burn out like halogens will, and you can get a better beam pattern than what the factory fogs offer.s He's got some very attractively priced LED options, and I'm sure that he can help with selection and maybe even install if you ask him nicely. His shop rate is very reasonable.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Ddub1973

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 08:08:15 AM »
Thanks for the input. I think LED might be the road I take but I guess I have to save a couple more pennies for that.
DDUB OIIIIO

2013 JKUR

Offline LEMON-AID JAY

• That CB Yapper
  • Bad a$$ zj owner
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 05:51:06 PM »
Not illegal. Annoying possibility  ::)
E-mortal customs
Www.e-mortalcustoms.com
3-2808 Ogden road s.e.
Phone 403-265-6669
for all your 4x4 needs

www.piratesof4x4.com

Offline yyc_tbird_sc

• Budget Lift
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 07:27:53 PM »
Not illegal. Annoying possibility  ::)

Very much illegal. Any drop in HID kit is illegal as it was never designed to be in the stock housings. Maybe an argument could be made for aftermarket reflectors designed for HID bulbs, but not in the stock ones. Even then....my bet is a ticket would most likely be issued, and the possibility of having an impounded vehicle if you catch an officer at a bad time.

Offline LEMON-AID JAY

• That CB Yapper
  • Bad a$$ zj owner
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 07:39:11 PM »
Very much illegal. Any drop in HID kit is illegal as it was never designed to be in the stock housings. Maybe an argument could be made for aftermarket reflectors designed for HID bulbs, but not in the stock ones. Even then....my bet is a ticket would most likely be issued, and the possibility of having an impounded vehicle if you catch an officer at a bad time.
Should have added 55 watt kits very illegal. 35 watt kits no. Other then white is a problem to and they must be aimed correctly.If you still think they are illegal( 35 watt kits ) please show me where you have found this info?  
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 07:51:58 PM by Chanda Auto »
E-mortal customs
Www.e-mortalcustoms.com
3-2808 Ogden road s.e.
Phone 403-265-6669
for all your 4x4 needs

www.piratesof4x4.com

Offline yyc_tbird_sc

• Budget Lift
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 07:28:22 PM »
Sorry for the delay....been in and out of town alot with work. They're illegal due to them not being a proper replacement bulb that is designed to OEM specs...ie, they're not a 9004 or H13 incandescent bulb (or halogen). Look on the boxes....if it says "for off road or show use only", or any variation of that then they're definitely illegal. Problem is that most cops don't know this kind of thing, and the ones that do are so busy with other things it's not funny. Basically, if it's not what the factory put in the vehicle originally, and not a DIRECT replacement part of the same nature, then it's illegal. There have been discussions on here before regarding the same kind of topics....studded tires, fog lights, driving lights, mud flaps/fenders, etc etc....do it at your own risk, but don't whine if/when you get caught or complained about.

Regardless of wattage....they're annoying to other drivers on the road due to them not being cut-off properly due to an HID bulb being stuffed into a housing that was never desgined for it. I've been asked many times to help friends install them, and I've told everyone of them to take it somewhere else...just a moral thing that I have.

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 07:42:05 PM »
Umm, its 100% legal to run studs in Alberta, so is having 2 forward facing driving lights and 2 forward facing fog lights in addition to the headlights.

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 02:01:07 AM »
Technical details as to why retrofitting a Halogen equipped housing to take HID bulbs can be a bad idea:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

That said, it CAN be done properly. In most, if not all cases, it requires replacing the stock halogen equipped housing (lens assembly) completely (ie. Replacing an OE halogen lens housing with a housing that can accept H4 lenses.... and properly disperse light from an HID filament bulb).

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 07:59:45 AM »
If you're going to the trouble of putting in an E-code pot set up for H4 bulbs, you've already made a HUGE improvement over stock - regardless of staying with halogen or going to HID.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(