Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: June 15,16,17 McLEan  (Read 9174 times)

Offline wyattjo

• Baby Wheeler
Re: Re: Re: June 15,16,17 McLEan
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 01:29:54 PM »
OK, I am in.  Is there nobody else interested?  Kind of hard to believe that no body wants to come out and play in the mud.  I would love wyattjo to come along, but when he gets (and everyone does), we need a way to get him out 29 - 30 inch tires, there is only 1/2" difference so that is not the make or break, but he does need tow points.  What time are you thinking of heading out?  Live in Cochrane so it is not that far of a drive.  Don't know McLean all that well, but can get through almost anything there.  Let me know.

Randy

I have a brush guard on the front i could probably hook to but no official tow points and a rear hitch which would probably do the trick since it has the spots to hook trailer chains to... I have shovels i could bring and I'd need to buy some straps... I broke my straps getting my f150 unstuck last year with some friends... if I did go I'd head out Saturday... I've been wanting to see how my Cherokee would do... 3/4" front lift and 1-1/2" rear lift with 235/75r15 Goodyear wrangler territory tires is what I have done to it but otherwise its stock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using Tapatalk 2

Offline Elver

• Baby Wheeler
Re: June 15,16,17 McLEan
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 01:55:38 PM »
I will be on McLean Creek for a quickly run on Sunday 17th. Going to Top of the World only.

OK, I am in.  Is there nobody else interested?  Kind of hard to believe that no body wants to come out and play in the mud.  I would love wyattjo to come along, but when he gets (and everyone does), we need a way to get him out 29 - 30 inch tires, there is only 1/2" difference so that is not the make or break, but he does need tow points.  What time are you thinking of heading out?  Live in Cochrane so it is not that far of a drive.  Don't know McLean all that well, but can get through almost anything there.  Let me know.

Randy
2012 JKU Rubicon - Synergy 3.5" | Hankook 35" | Warn 9.5CTi

Offline XXXj

• Baby Wheeler
  • 93 XJ, Rubicon diffs, 6.5" lift, long arm kit...
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 02:36:49 PM »
we are heading out there today, and will be there until Sunday.
we dont really have a schedule, so i guess it depends on how many people are
coming out! Let's say Saturday morning around 1030. Just come into the campground
we are at A28. Lifted white cherokee. 403 336 4626 text
Ty&Tory.
We stay ready to go...

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 03:44:09 PM »
Hooking to the brush guard is a sure way to do some damage to the front of your Jeep and the back of whoever hooks up to you. XJs need the actual tow hook brackets that tie into the frame rail because of the way they are constructed. Aftermarket recovery points will tie in to the frame in some fashion as well.

The hitch is fine for recovery, but not the chain attachment points. You can use the hitch pin to hold a strap in the receiver or pick up a shackle that fits into the receiver. I would recommend the shackle since it eliminates the chances of the hitch pin bending.

Offline Black Cheep

• Stocker
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 03:56:19 PM »
By no means am I promoting this product, but I keep one in my oilfield truck all the time.  Should something happen, I always have a tow point on the back to pull myself or someone else back out of the jam.  I have one and can bring it for you to use for the day as a rear tow point.  You might think of buying one, but in the mean time, work on a front tow point and your covered.

http://www.warn.com/truck/accessories/shackle.shtml

Randy

Offline wyattjo

• Baby Wheeler
Re: Re: Re: June 15,16,17 McLEan
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 04:18:08 PM »
Hooking to the brush guard is a sure way to do some damage to the front of your Jeep and the back of whoever hooks up to you. XJs need the actual tow hook brackets that tie into the frame rail because of the way they are constructed. Aftermarket recovery points will tie in to the frame in some fashion as well.

The hitch is fine for recovery, but not the chain attachment points. You can use the hitch pin to hold a strap in the receiver or pick up a shackle that fits into the receiver. I would recommend the shackle since it eliminates the chances of the hitch pin bending.

Oh OK... Im new to Jeeps... my f150 had tow points factory installed on the front so I'd used them before and my hitch on the back... the previous owner of my Jeep cut off whatever he had in the hitch so I can't put anything into it now unless I get that out... looks like I'll have to figure something out before I come out then

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using Tapatalk 2

Offline Drambuie89

• Budget Lift
  • Project Agent Orange
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 11:30:02 PM »
Ya I'd be up for a run Saturday. :)

Offline Black Cheep

• Stocker
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 02:04:50 PM »
I am a go.  Just got my baby back and all fixed.  Combination of small things that lead to a 2 wheel drive.  Can't wait to put her to the test - mud is going to be flying tomorrow!! lol.  See you at 10:30.

Randy

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 08:45:59 PM »
There will be afew of us out there tomorrow seeking out a new 101 trail. See you out there.
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline Black Cheep

• Stocker
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 07:48:47 AM »
Thanks guys that was a good time.  The trails had some good challenges on them, and those ponds gave the old girl a really good challenge.  (glad I didn't have to break out the winch though!)  If you are ever heading out again, please let me know.

Randy

Offline Drambuie89

• Budget Lift
  • Project Agent Orange
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 06:14:23 PM »
Hey,

Here is a link to a few photos from Saturday. Thanks for a great day!

http://photobucket.com/pastthepavement

Photos of part of my miscellaneous album so not all are from aforementioned day.

Offline XXXj

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 10:30:38 PM »
It was a good time. We got the a/c out, so that issue is done and gone forever and
it turns out the alternator was going to die regardless, but we fixed that too.
all the bugs!! I want to go to the top of the world like we were supposed to.
Feel like another run at it soon ?
Ty&Tory.
We stay ready to go...

Offline Drambuie89

• Budget Lift
  • Project Agent Orange
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 12:54:33 AM »
Name a date and time and I'm there.

Offline XXXj

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 12:34:13 PM »
are you going on sunday ?
Ty&Tory.
We stay ready to go...

Offline Drambuie89

• Budget Lift
  • Project Agent Orange
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 01:39:29 PM »
Yupp I'll be out there.