Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: beadlock opinions.  (Read 3507 times)

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
Re: beadlock opinions.
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 11:33:41 PM »

I have some.

Allied

32 bolt Rock-a-thons

You're going to hate installing them

Put some BB's in there

I've put well over 14 ooo kms on them

I don't want to hear about DOT legal BS

I've never lost at bead at 5 psi

I  had Killer Cutline spank me back in the 90's. Broke the frame on my CJ . Yes, I peed my pants

I personally don't care if Tom or Aaron tried it in their 4x4's cuz the Hawg went down it on a BMX...or so the story goes

Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline Mudhawg

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Rig Life
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 12:17:34 AM »
I personally don't care if Tom or Aaron tried it in their 4x4's cuz the Hawg went down it on a BMX...or so the story goes

Your outta hand!, but back to beadlocks, ive got weld on's on my 42 TSL's and am not overly happy with them
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:21:09 AM by Mudhawg »
1984 Chevy 6" Lift 40" Boggers

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 01:17:51 AM »
i've used walker evans and spiderlocks for a few years each.  walkers easily 10/10 and spiders 8/10 but only because they are a pain to clean out mud, snow, ice and airing up/down is suckier and they are more expensive.

i like that spiderlocks are normally wider than walkers.

both are balanced very very well so only tire choice will affect balancing issues.

dropping down in air pressure severely decreases fuel economy...

rims alone are around 40lbs each.

16,17,18 inch rims normally mean tires with thicker sidewalls so much more stable and dependable at very low pressures.

i often run mine at 0 psi because I have 18" rims and 35x12.5 E rated tires so they are still quite stiff ... others though have a tough time dropping below 5 psi because their sidewalls are too soft or they are just panzies.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 06:23:15 PM »
I've done a bunch of weldons. They are painful to work with because of no self centering and they have way more bolts then a good beadlocks. They are stupid heavy and rob power. The wrong rim and they will lose and inner bead sometimes. Ive done two sets that are prone to peeling inners and 3 that stick like glue.

Stauns work but are fragile. I'll be using some on the yj since I have lots of spare tubes.

Walkers are king.

Raceline, PSC, trail ready, AEV are all good quality and functional.

For lightweight trail ready's are my top pick.

If doing welds, ruffstuff usually has good prices on rings.

Oh. Also worked on h1's factory and re centered but that stuff is for the 1ton crowd.

There is supposedly a new staun type out there called inner air lock. But I know nothing about them. 
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline calltrex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 01:36:05 AM »
I know someone who uses inner air lock. For few yrs now. Seem good

Not sure how balanced they are
........___________
.......//.......""""......\\
....=//___________\\=
.....(@)___JEEP_(__@)
......\____I===I____/
.../""""/........J
../""""/=(=)___....../""""/
./___/............==/""""/
....................../___

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 09:03:59 AM »
No issues with Racelines or beadloacks in general in the winter I assume? Does load range matter?

The funny thing is that for the price of a fake-lock in Canada, you can pretty much get a beadlock in the US so its amoot point on getting them.

Offline heep-a-lop

• UberWheeler
  • EMF WHORE
    • EMF Rod Ends And Steering Components
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 10:03:39 AM »
i know someobody who can get the rings and weld them on and they work....  and he is local u might have to wait a few though.... know blackhorses rig from last yeras highriders on 44's ran them and kevin's s10 buggy this year at highriders will be running them after this years highriders he picked them up form emf this weekend while i was out there.....  ( that guy can drive).... 

i know clay has run weld ons for years has had problems and has found solutions....