Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Bent rim!  (Read 2982 times)

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
Bent rim!
« on: September 17, 2012, 08:38:43 PM »
Hey, what do you guys think about this rim.  Bought a set off kijiji to throw some winter tires on and the tire shop discovered ones bent.  They threw the tire on anyways with a bunch of extra weight and told me to replace it asap.  There is one dent on the inside of the rim and I measureed 1/8" run out at the outer edge on the inside of the rim.  Can I run this or will I regret it? 

I just can’t resist a good mud hole!  🤦

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
Re: Bent rim!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 10:09:18 PM »

I take it that these tires/rims are going on the GF 's new SUV?

You must like being yelled at or something ?  Running that rim is not going to be worth the nagging and looks that the GF will give you. I think you know what to do you cheap bastard.

There's a place off McKnight that can " fix" bent rims but the results vary. I took a bent Weld Pro-Star to them a few years ago and that sucker took a lot of lead to balance after it was " trued" . I was better off buying a new rim.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline Bill

• Winch Wench
    • MEN with BROOMS
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 10:25:54 PM »
Trust the tire shop. It is just a cheap used rim.
Chimney Sweep, Wood Stove Installer & Inspector

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 07:53:56 PM »
Ya ok, I'll find another rim.  Thanks.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 08:34:51 PM »
I'd throw it on the back and see how bad it is. From there you can make the call if its livable or needs replacing.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 09:49:56 AM »
I'd throw it on the back and see how bad it is. From there you can make the call if its livable or needs replacing.

I don't think you've ever met Jamey's ol lady Clay.

Any sub-par work done to her new vehicle will net Jamey some time in the doghouse. Just thinking about her scowl scares me from behind the keyboard. I left the lid up on the toilet in his old shop and she scolded me for ten minutes. Her glare forced my one testicle to descend a ladder down to it's brother, hoist it over it's shoulder and climb into my lower intestine to hide. It was that scary...

Find another rim Jamey!
For the love of God man!
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 05:07:07 PM »
I don't think you've ever met Jamey's ol lady Clay.

Any sub-par work done to her new vehicle will net Jamey some time in the doghouse. Just thinking about her scowl scares me from behind the keyboard. I left the lid up on the toilet in his old shop and she scolded me for ten minutes. Her glare forced my one testicle to descend a ladder down to it's brother, hoist it over it's shoulder and climb into my lower intestine to hide. It was that scary...

Find another rim Jamey!
For the love of God man!

I think the lid on the toilet was just the final straw, all that raw chicken you hid in buckets around my shop pushed her over the edge.  Yeah, I'll find another rim.  I'd rather deal with it now than find out I have to change it once winters here.

Offline GreenMachine

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 04:35:28 PM »
Alberta wheel repair. It used to be in behind the golden acre garden center just off mcknight, they do AMAZING work!
It's not the cheapest, but I along with friends have had a couple mangled alloy rims, taken them there, they give the back looking brand new.

Every job was a different price because of the amount of work, on my old sports car I lost it on some gravel, crashed into a curb, grinded a half inch groove inane spot of the rim right at the bead, they filled it, machined it back down, then I had one new looking rim, and 3 that were a little less shiny, another friend had folded in a rim on his rx7 int hewinter after hitting a curb, to get a replacement rim it was 600 from Japan, they had him back on the road for just over 250,

It ends up comng down to how much is the rim worth, for him and I it was cheaper to fix the rim, instead of getting a new set,

I was at Manchester auto the other day, they had a few jeeps in their yard, with a few spare jeep rims, not sure how much they were askin, but i I hope this helps ya out
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 04:37:23 PM by GreenMachine »
03 Tj Lifted 2.5" - Light Bar - 31's - Rock Sliders - Full Edge Jammer Trail Kit