Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Throwout bearing starting to go?  (Read 3785 times)

Offline Dagoose

• Budget Lift
Throwout bearing starting to go?
« on: September 20, 2012, 08:44:46 PM »
When I push the clutch in, I can hear some light squeaking when I'm either stopped or coasting. Clutch out and in gear, no noise. The sound is noticeable, but fairly faint. I've seen someone who had a bad bearing and it was really loud outside the vehicle. I've never had the throwout bearing go on me before.

My clutch is starting to go, so it's probably time to replace, but I wanted to be sure.

Offline Slewfoot

• UberWheeler
Re: Throwout bearing starting to go?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 09:06:27 PM »
When I push the clutch in, I can hear some light squeaking when I'm either stopped or coasting. Clutch out and in gear, no noise. The sound is noticeable, but fairly faint. I've seen someone who had a bad bearing and it was really loud outside the vehicle. I've never had the throwout bearing go on me before.

My clutch is starting to go, so it's probably time to replace, but I wanted to be sure.
Coincidentally, I just finished changing mine :(  Mine started with a light squeaking (but I put at least another 1500 KM on it before changing it).

Park beside a building, or something that will reflect the sound back to your open window.  Stopped, with engine running, press and release the clutch - does the squeak come and go with the clutch being pressed or released?  If so, it's likely the throwout bearing...if not...no idea.
2006 Rubicon LJ (Unlimited) Mostly Stock

Offline Dagoose

• Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 09:15:04 PM »
Yup, that's it... thanks Darren. At least I have some time.

Looks like I'll be replacing my clutch and throwout bearing soon.

Offline Skippy

• Baby Wheeler
    • Allure Custom Contracting Ltd
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 09:16:09 PM »
Just replaced one two days ago... It started as a loud squeak. Look at your bell housing for ball bearings as when they go you can usually see them floating around at the bottom.

Quite the job todo yourself as exhaust, skidplates, drive shafts, all have to come off to drop the tranny.
2012 JKU Sahara,
2" BDS lift, BDS manual sway-bar disconnect, 33" Duratracs, 17" Series 050 Rims (All 5)
SmittyBilt XRC Front Bumper with 8,000lb smittybilt x2o winch

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 06:17:15 PM »
dropping the tranny/clutch is time consuming but easy.  Hardest part is getting that sucker back up.  When you are on your back that sucker is heavy.  If you want to attempt it yourself give me a call.  BUT since I work weekends our schedules aren't gonna line up like they did this summer... Best summer ever ;)

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: Throwout bearing starting to go?
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 06:24:44 PM »
If you don't have a tranny jack, can grab mine. Makes a world of difference.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 06:52:16 PM »
Let me know if you need any help, I have done it once before and learned some tricks and bought some tools to save time. Oh and don't forget to go to autovalue and rent a pilot bearing puller...

Offline Dagoose

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 07:47:38 PM »
Awesome, thanks guys I will definitely take you up on the offers.

I've got a bunch of vacation to use up before our busy season, so I'll make sure to book some time off to get it done.

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 09:24:26 PM »
its a 2 and 1/2 hour job

park the truck
remove shifter
pull both shafts
pull skid
lower tcase and trans a bit
disconnect tcase linkage and any wiring
remove started
removed upper bell housing bolts
remove slave
remove remaining bolts
pull tranny and tcase out as one
remove old clutch and throw out bearing
optional ; replace pilot bearing

then re install all of the above
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 09:15:31 PM »
Does it squeak when youre sitting with the engine off? That's a jeep thing. Applying some dry lube to the pivot ball on the other side of clutch fork is a temp fix but it's nothing to worry about.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 11:46:01 AM »
Does it squeak when youre sitting with the engine off? That's a jeep thing. Applying some dry lube to the pivot ball on the other side of clutch fork is a temp fix but it's nothing to worry about.

I have always left mine for awhile....then it blew up out in Waiparous (fairly early in its death cycle) in the winter loop, drove home without the clutch, left to only imagine what's going on inside my clutch/tranny with every banshee like scream and grinding of gears.... not fun. I used to toast throw bearings fairly regularly, ever since I got an engine skid it hasn't been a problem (covers the little gap between the bell housing rear of the engine)....or maybe its because I put a decent name bearing in....who knows...the only thing I know is that the mud is still the same
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:52:11 AM by Jrama »

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 11:16:32 PM »
Highly recommend either a transmission jack, or at least a home made adapter to your floor jack... :)

Bearing puller isn't needed, it's a nice to have but... Wet paper towel works great, don't pack it with grease and hammer, that just makes a mess, the paper towel works great, if it spatters at all its just water, and it cleans up nicely when you pull out the wad of paper from the flywheel.

and I've never had to drop the exhaust to pull the tranny, there should be an attachment point by the transmission mount, just pop the pin out of the bushing and easy.

GL
2003 TJ
"Your TJ has the aerodynamics of a brick"
"if you lose the stick, chances are you'll lose the jeep......"