Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Detroit Locker  (Read 2631 times)

Offline MOABICON

• Budget Lift
  • MOABICON
Detroit Locker
« on: January 31, 2013, 04:14:01 PM »
Anyone ever run a Detroit Locker in the front of there Jeep?
(03 TJ with a Dana 30 open diff.)  :o
03 TJ, 4" lift, 33's, Eaton eLockers- Front & Rear, winch, CB

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
Re: Detroit Locker
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 07:39:21 PM »
Should be fine...they only lock up under torque correct? Only issue is that it would cost way more than a lunch box and be effectively the same thing.

Offline THE GOLD DIIGGER

• UberWheeler
  • This is cool lets see you do this.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 07:57:24 PM »
Thats all Iput in my jeeps and I love them.

Offline MOABICON

• Budget Lift
  • MOABICON
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 08:02:27 PM »
I can get a Aussie locker or a Detroit locker delivered from the USA.
Still checking things out. Detroit might not have all the clicking going on when mall crawling?
I would be installing the locker myself, so no extra labour there!
Don't know what the handling characteristics would be like as a daily driver on pavement,
in the rain or hard packed snow.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 08:36:32 PM by FlatLanderJeep »

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 10:26:20 PM »
do you like using your 4x4 in the winter?

you won't with a front detroit.............. makes 4wd useless.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 10:51:02 PM »
Don't know what the handling characteristics would be like as a daily driver on pavement,
in the rain or hard packed snow.

Dennis,

I'm going to assume it started like this.
" I've got a factory LSD in the rear but I would like more traction out of my Jeep .  I don't want to mess with redoing my ring & pinion, but  I can put a lunchbox locker up front and they're not terribly hard to do for a guy with some mechanical aptitude AND they're affordable !

I've gone this route and loved the newfound ability of my 4x4, but I absolutely hated driving the rig on snow or ice in 4-HI on the road. A front locker in your TJ would not be noticeable  up front in 2HI but you'll definately know it's there in 4 wheel drive. Daily driver duty ? It's doable but I wouldn't go back to that set-up.

I've also owned almost every lunchbox locker made - Aussie , Detroit , Lock-rite etc and I've worn-out or grenaded all but the Aussie. You might want to look at the warranty as well as there are tire size restrictions. It's also worth looking into the new Spartan locker .

You will find  hundreds of threads online about a front locker in a TJ ad naseum.  Some folks claim it's okay as long as you know it's there and know how it will react , while some say it will cause you to plow into a bus full of nuns and explode.

The only thing I can honestly say to you is that I'll personally take you for a ride and engage just my front locker( ARB) and we'll take a spin down the highway on some hard packed snow with some corners. You can make your decision after that.

HTH
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 12:49:59 AM »
I've had a lock rite locker in the Dana 30 in my xj for 8 months now. Performs great off road, I don't notice anything on road in 2wd,and so far winter driving in 4wd has been fine. I know it's there and adjust my driving style accordingly. I woudnt go back.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 07:21:43 AM »
I've seen lots of guys with front lockers have difficulties in the winter trying traverse a slippery side hill. The vehicle won't track across and kept sliding downhill. Also when my front locker(electric) is in on a slippery trail I have to unlock to negotiate a turn or curve in the trail otherwise it keeps going straight.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: Detroit Locker
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 08:45:27 AM »
I had lunchboxes in all my XJs, never had a problem, or I should say, didn't realize what I was forcing myself to deal with until the TJ with selectable, if I could go back... I DEFINATELY would have spent the extra coin.

Offline MOABICON

• Budget Lift
  • MOABICON
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 09:00:04 AM »
So..........Tubby..you hit the nail on the head. All the stuff you said is where
I am at. Thanks for the input, much appreciated. And, thanks to everyone
else for their thoughts on the locker. One more question and then I will be
moving on. >Anyone ever run a ~~PowerTrax No Slip diff. in the front?

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 08:44:31 AM »
I ran a limited slip in the front of my XJ for awhile, it worked "ok" but I don't think its worth the time/effort/money as you WILL want to switch it out for a real locker one day.

The most trouble I had with a front LS was in Moab, twice it opened up on me causing the Jeep to suddenly lurch off to one side and almost causing me to roll onto my side. I also needed brake modulation most times to get it to really hook up.

Winter wheeling around here it didn't give any problems.

If you are REALLY set on putting something in the front I would save for a selectable, my choice being the Eaton Elocker. Be advised that since I put my locker in I have become aware of how rarely I use it. Except for Moab I push that button maybe 3-4 times a year and even in Moab its only doing the REALLY crazy stuff that I use it(you know what I mean, that 2% of obstacles that gets you thinking about and Exo-cage). 

If you STILL MUST ABSOLUTELY must have a front locker because all your buddies have one and your AT tires just won't cut it then buy a cheap lunch box locker and stuff it in there.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 01:53:35 PM »
Honeslty, you would get more bang for your buck with beadlocks then you would spending that kind of money for a selectable. Unless you have the money to throw at both.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 02:53:20 PM »
Honeslty, you would get more bang for your buck with beadlocks then you would spending that kind of money for a selectable. Unless you have the money to throw at both.

That.
04 TJ Rubi