Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: rear axle play  (Read 1424 times)

Offline 1993yj

• Baby Wheeler
rear axle play
« on: May 05, 2013, 09:07:47 PM »
hello on the way home from edmonton all of a sudden i started to get  shake when driving at around 40 km .when i got home tryed looking for prblem and i found about 1/4 in play in my rear axle only on passenger  side .i can hold the rear disk brake and see it move in on out.i have  ford 8.8 in rear  .any one have a clue of what it could be .

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
Re: rear axle play
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 11:46:36 PM »
Shake in the steering wheel or just the whole jeep? Id first guess u-joints. Its normal to have a bit of play in the rear in and out as far as I recall...
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
Re: rear axle play
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 02:39:20 AM »

Pretty common for the Ford 8.8 to have some end-play at the axleshaft. My Ranger 8.8 had .030" on the passenger side and nothing on the driver"s side. After some research, I found that this is quite common with the 8.8 and that it really wasn"t a big deal.  IIRC it's just the space between the the axle and the cross pin that was causing the end-play. I would hear a clunk at slow speeds while taking tight corners. It's annoying sometimes but doesn"t sound like the problems you"re describing.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg