Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: questions about inspection  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Moezer

• That CB Yapper
questions about inspection
« on: June 08, 2013, 05:21:15 PM »
Hey guys, so im trying to sell my car and the kids mom wants to get a full inspection on the car due to it being stolen and deemed salvage tittle, i have had the car for 4 years and it passed salvage inspection when i fixed the car and such, but im not sure it will pass inspection now due to it no longer being stock and has been modded, if it fails inspection can i still register the car and drive it? for my self? or would i have to re fix every thing on it and reinspect it again

also i have had 0 problems since i fixed the car and have had it

Offline wyattjo

• Baby Wheeler
Re:
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 05:41:32 PM »
I've always just gotten an insurance  inspection when people have asked for them... shouldn't affect anything and just give her peace of mind

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

Offline Moezer

• That CB Yapper
Re: questions about inspection
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 04:49:52 AM »
I already have the insurance inspection and showed her it but she said she wants to get a full inspection all over again on the car but I'm sure the car won't pass because of it being lowered and modded and if it fails I'm afraid that I won't be able to sell it or register it again with out fixing it and having a reinspection I'm trying to sell the car not put money in to it lol

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re:
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 06:13:49 AM »
Inspection makes no difference on your registration, only affects your insurance. You can get an inspection without sending it in to your insurance company

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 09:48:59 AM »
Potential buyer doing an inspection will have nothing to do with your registration or your insurance. Typically they would book a time at the shop of their choosing and the car goes in for whatever inspection they want, they get the report and then they determine if they want to buy or not. The report doesn't get sent to your insurance or to the registry.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 12:54:48 PM »
Potential buyer doing an inspection will have nothing to do with your registration or your insurance. Typically they would book a time at the shop of their choosing and the car goes in for whatever inspection they want, they get the report and then they determine if they want to buy or not. The report doesn't get sent to your insurance or to the registry.
This and when buying any used vehicle, it is worth doing.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Moezer

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
Even the if they do a salvage inspection and the car fails? I won't get effected?

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 01:16:48 PM »
You already had a salvage inspection. The reason for the inspection is to change the status of the car from salvage to rebuilt with the registry.
However there is a lower resale value of a car with rebuilt status versus active status. You can not change the status with registrys from rebuilt to active.

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 01:50:25 PM »
The kids Mom probably just wants a mechanical inspection done to determine if the car is in the shape you present it to be.
Nothing to do with any government or insurance agency at all.
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 05:18:53 PM »
Even the if they do a salvage inspection and the car fails? I won't get effected?
What is the car titled now as?
That is what it will remain no matter what the MECHANICAL inspection finds. The buyer wants to know what they are getting and what might need to be fixed now/next month/next year/etc.
Once they get their list of possible problems (and they will), then they will offer you much less

Offline Moezer

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 08:05:28 AM »
the title of the car as of now is rebuilt

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 08:19:38 AM »
Vehicle Status
— The vehicle status shows
the current designation in the Alberta Motor
Vehicle system. It is an indication of the
vehicle's suitability for registration and the
registration history.

rebuilt or oop-rebuilt:
A vehicle that was
written-off and given a salvage status (that
is, it has damage in excess of its value),
then repaired and subsequently certified by
an authorized inspector. A vehicle with a
rebuilt status can be registered.

Associated with each status is the date the
status was entered into Alberta Registries
records. This date is reported in all instances
except where there is active or oop-active status.

So, in summary NOTHING will change no matter who a potential buyer has inspecting it.  The garage may try and bully you if they are shady but do not bend, car is registered and as per above laws, it was inspected to bring it from salvage title to rebuilt status. Do not offer anything to them in terms of where you got it fixed, etc. It is NONE of their business.
They either want it or they do not. Do not be intimidated into dropping your price unfairly.

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 08:33:00 AM »
The shop is also not allowed to refuse return of the vehicle, even if they say it is unsafe. So long as the bill is paid in full, they must give you the keys. They are free to contact the police and inform them of their opinion, but it's up to the police to take it from there.