Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Question for the electricians on the board.  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
Question for the electricians on the board.
« on: February 18, 2014, 09:39:29 PM »
I am doing some work in my basement and would like to know what the proper electrical inspection procedure is.
My understanding is a rough-in inspection is required once all boxes are installed and wiring is run. This inspection is carried out before any drywall is installed so nothing is covered up. Then a final inspection is done after all fixtures are install and the new circuits are tied to the main electrical panel. Am I correct with these assumptions?
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Question for the electricians on the board.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 09:53:24 PM »
Not an electrician. Yes to all the quistions. Couple hints.
Home owner can pick up permit.
If no permit was issued for basement devolpment then inspector will inspect entire basement. May have to get building permit. There are some loopholes.
 You have one year to call for inspection.
Home depot/ rona sells a green book called something like this [alberta electrical code simplified]. This book is your friend. About $20.

Offline Rookie

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • build it, break it, rebuild it better
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 10:02:12 PM »
Yes that's the procedure, for rough in make sure all your grounds are connected in ALL your boxes .
One wire wrapped around the screw and then all the wires twisted together and marretted .
The Canadian Electrical Code Simplified will be the best 20-30 bucks you spend

I am an electrician
TJ with some stuff

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 10:23:06 PM »
Yes that's the procedure, for rough in make sure all your grounds are connected in ALL your boxes .
One wire wrapped around the screw and then all the wires twisted together and marretted .
The Canadian Electrical Code Simplified will be the best 20-30 bucks you spend

I am an electrician

The work has been done now, I am asking now because of what happened when I called for final inspection today. They told me I didn't need one and the permit was signed off back at rough-in inspection.
It boggles my mind on this, while I am confident that everything is up to code but why would they not insist on taking a look at the most critical part of the work, ie the final connection at the panel and whether or not I used the ridiculously expensive arc resistant (or whatever) breaker for the bedroom.
I guess it's not like the house could burn down or anything right. :o

Am I completely wrong in thinking the 3rd party inspection company is just saving a few bucks by not having to come back or is this industry standard procedure now.

I know the framing inspector did basically the same thing by closing the file at rough-in inspection but was quick to point out if I wanted a final done he would come back once complete. Not only at but the chance of problems arising with framing is far less likely than with electrical.
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
Question for the electricians on the board.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 06:38:46 AM »
Couple things happen here. If the inspector can not make it that day then it is deemed passed. And if it was inspected there should be a yellow sticker on the breaker box , about 3 inches square with hand written notes saying basement ri or rough in.
Can always get an electrician in to do an inspection as well to verify the workmanship is good.

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 06:51:00 AM »
Couple things happen here. If the inspector can not make it that day then it is deemed passed. And if it was inspected there should be a yellow sticker on the breaker box , about 3 inches square with hand written notes saying basement ri or rough in.
Can always get an electrician in to do an inspection as well to verify the workmanship is good.

Yeah, I got the sticker and the rough-in is signed off but not the final.
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 12:50:37 PM »
Thing is, if it passes, the city is 100% accountable.

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 02:05:49 PM »
Thing is, if it passes, the city is 100% accountable.

Fat chance of making the city responsible, they will just say it was ok when inspected and somebody must have changed the wiring since.
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Offline Rookie

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • build it, break it, rebuild it better
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 03:13:05 PM »
Vince

Who is the 3rd party inspection company (Alberta Permit Pro ?)
Do you pull the permit through the town office or direct through the third party
If you want and you can't get them to come and inspect it I can swing by after work one day and check it over if you want

They have a notes section on their form to note that the final wasn't done or to note that drywall was up couldn't inspect rough in etc to cover their asses in case there's a fire or something
Trust me there will be NO liability on their part
TJ with some stuff

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 03:23:04 PM »
Vince

Who is the 3rd party inspection company (Alberta Permit Pro ?)
Do you pull the permit through the town office or direct through the third party
If you want and you can't get them to come and inspect it I can swing by after work one day and check it over if you want

They have a notes section on their form to note that the final wasn't done or to note that drywall was up couldn't inspect rough in etc to cover their asses in case there's a fire or something
Trust me there will be NO liability on their part

I pulled the permit myself through the town of Okotoks. Davis Inspection did the rough-in before drywall was up and like I said, considered it done. If you want to come out and take a quick look that would be awesome. I still have that notcher if you want it as well. I'm pretty confident everything is ok but an experienced set of eyes won't hurt.
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)