Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Soccer mom in van 1 bikers 0  (Read 9700 times)

Offline SwampRat

• UberWheeler
Soccer mom in van 1 bikers 0
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006, 12:08:32 PM »
I have to agree with Ornamental, in the Phillipians, there are hardly any traffic lights, vehicles and people everywhere and still no accidents.  Drivers turning into traffic just go and look straight ahead, those in the right of way have to brake to make room but they understand that is the way it works.  In Calgary, everyone is afraid that someone else will get ahead of them and they may loose one car length in the traffic :P
I HATE mud and snow!!!!!!!
VE6DLR
VA6DLR

Offline Milan

• CJA Members
  • UberWheeler
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2006, 12:11:05 PM »
That's right. In Calgary or North America in general, it's all ego-driven. For no reason.  :roll:
Keep on Jeepin'

Offline ornamental

• UberWheeler
    • http://www.webshots/users/yeungstreet
driving
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 11:59:28 PM »

Offline Milan

• CJA Members
  • UberWheeler
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 12:14:31 AM »
Keep on Jeepin'

Rony

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 05:03:12 PM »
Signal Lights??? Didnt you get the memo it's not mandatory to have them anymore. You can even get the stealership to have them removed lol As professional drivers (which we all are) did you know that we now have ESP and we can anticipate everyones moves..

streetvan1

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2006, 08:54:57 PM »
Ok, I got a story to beat those ones. I was on Elbow drive, approaching one of Calgary's many construction zones. I was driving my big windowless love wagon of a van. All of a sudden, about 10 feet from the construction zone, i noticed that a crappy little dodge neon was pushing its way into my lane. Naturally, I let rip on the air horn, and the neon kept coming into my lane, so I hit the brakes, and let the guy in. Well that wasn't good enough...the guy in the neon stopped his car, and got out! He attempted to open my door, and yelled at me!!

I couldn't believe this. I mean really, what did this guy have planned? I'm an adult, and haven't been in a fist fight since junior high, and I certainly don't want to get in one when I'm in my car with a seatbelt on. I phoned the police, who didn't seem to care...they were too busy handing out frivilous traffic tickets i guess.

Then, a few days later, I saw a kid in a cavalier driving like a fool, and all of a sudden, the guy in front of him slammed on the brakes, and got out. Of course, this kid wasn't as smart as me, and instead of locking his car, he tried to get out and fight. He was caught half way out of his car, and took a pretty bad beating.

What makes people think they can pull this kind of stunt? It's absoloutely unreal. Now I carry an aluminum bat beside my drivers door......for next time I meet one of these neanderthals on the road! :twisted:

Offline RedDog

• Budget Lift
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2006, 03:10:40 AM »
I was hosting a long time friend from Quebec for a month and a couple weeks ago we were poking around down #22 to the Crow's Nest enjoying Southern Alberta and Montana.  Coming back up saw my first full transverse of Calgary on the Deerfoot all the way through in some time.  (My Calgary time is more often a McKnight-John Laurie run to the Dalhousie area)

I'm here to tell you the Boston-NYC I-95 corridor or the 405 San Diego Freeway have nothing on the Deerfoot.  Unbelievable, or have I just been living in a smaller city for too long (10 years)?  Lumbering along in the TJ at 80-90 kph was a life threatening, white knuckle experience.  At that pace we should have been on the shoulder.
I'd rather be dragging a club than clubbing in drag
05 TJ mildly enhanced • 08 Buell XB12XT • 08 Santa Cruz Superlight

Slugger Antony

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2006, 03:46:19 AM »
I want to set my avatar as the picture of my pet dog... how can i do this?

Offline RedDog

• Budget Lift
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2006, 04:25:13 AM »
Create a small RGB .jpg stored on your hard drive (no larger than 13 kb).  Then in the "profile" settings at this site, go to "upload avatar from your machine", click the browse button and select that .jpg you created and stored on your machine.  Don't forget to click "submit" after that.

You can also upload a URL link of your .jpg if you utilize a third party photo site like Photobucket.  Photobucket is easy and free.  http://www.photobucket.com/
I'd rather be dragging a club than clubbing in drag
05 TJ mildly enhanced • 08 Buell XB12XT • 08 Santa Cruz Superlight

Abrasive

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2006, 08:52:34 AM »
Quote from: "streetvan1"

What makes people think they can pull this kind of stunt? It's absoloutely unreal. Now I carry an aluminum bat beside my drivers door......for next time I meet one of these neanderthals on the road! :twisted:

A good friend of mine drives a 2000 Audi A8 Quattro. Needless to say, any repairs cost the same: 1 left testicle and an unbaptised child...
He was driving to work this past winter when some jackass in a mid 80's 2wd chev 1/2 ton comes barraling down the hill, swerving and fishtailing all over the places, cuts my friend off and forces him off the road. He jumps over the curb at an unhealthy angle, then has to swerve sharply to avoid an electrical box and a power pole.
He follows the guy to get his insurance information and assure him that he will be taking his vehicle in to have it inspected and will be filing a claim if there's any damage (ball joints on the driver's side went 2 weeks later). Buddy gets all pissy and punches my friend in the head (from inside his truck, no less). That guy experienced 2 things that night:
1) What it's like to wake up, still seatbelted in your truck with one hell[/u] of a headache,
and 2) What it feels like to punch someone who's got a steel plate in their head, and why it's not a real good idea.

While I certainly think almost 100% of road rage incidents are rediculous, I'm of the opinion that a big part of what's wrong with today's society is that men can't solve problems the way we're programed to solve them: a little fisticuffs. I'm not an advocate of fighting to the death or maiming, and I'm not talking about beating someone with a bat, but if you say something rude about my little woman, you're going to get knocked over, and that'll be that. I'm talking about to guys who don't like each other swinging until somebody falls over.
Not anymore though, you don't know who's carrying a knife, who's got 27 friends waiting outside, etc. Everybody's got so scared of taking a mild arse kicking that, instead of just making sure they don't say or do anything that earns them the beating, they arm themselves and get friends to jump in, etc.
I hate fighting. I don't particularily enjoy the thought of getting hurt. Know how I avoid it? I don't run my mouth, or act like a tough guy, or be a general douchebag. That strategy has worked pretty damned good for me since grade 7.
But yes, I agree with you on one thing, if some meathead decides he's going to vent on me for no damned reason, I'll have something with which to defend myself and let him know that it'd probably in his best interests to go get back in his car and go home to his family.
/rant

Kris

Offline Jeepless

• Budget Lift
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 09:09:10 PM »
I watched a 20 year old kid get killed in red deer on friday. Nailed the throttel to run a red light. Hit a Jeep Cherrokee and died instantly. The sad thing is media and cops seem to be saying the jeep was at fault. The kid was right beside me and nailed the throttle as he approched the intersection. I've riddin bike most my life and that kid made a horrible mistake that cost him his life. It all took place in about 5 seconds! Ripped the bike in two= a million lil pieces!

As for the vid on here the bike was 100% in the wrong. Double yellow line AND passing in the intersection! Stupid.

Simple. People need to slow the f&^k down. Period.

Jeepless

Offline redbull

• UberWheeler
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2006, 09:56:49 PM »

Offline Raspberry

• Budget Lift
  • Do what you love, the rest will follow.
Re: Soccer mom in van 1 bikers 0
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 06:22:18 PM »
I'm with moth on this one.

You know what, I'm from England, and I've been to and seen enough places in Europe to know that in general, their drivers are better than those here in Calgary/Alberta.
Its amazing how many motorists here don't even 'see' cyclists. Its as if a cyclist could be right in front of their car, but their brains just won't 'register' anything, since they're not particularly looking for them.

I used to cycle to and from work every day when I was younger.
Then I got hit by a minivan.
And again by a car, 6 month later.
And so many many more 'near misses'.

So I stopped cycling, and sold my bike. As much as I loved it so very much, I knew it wasn't worth risking my life for it, and I didn't like the ambulance rides all too much. So I decided to adapt to Calgary society, become a full-time driver, and add a few pounds to the belly (I miss being fit haha).

Also, the road signs here are often AWFUL!! Particularly the placement, but mostly the LACK of them whatsoever.

And for anyone clicking the link for the hillbilly video in the last post, if it doesn't work, here's a mirror:
http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/47741/Hillbillies_Mess_With_Wrong_Guy_And_Get_Gun_Pulled_On_Them.html

its a fantastic video haha!!
DECEASED - 'Big Ben' (black '97 XJ) : ~9" lift - 35's - Ford 9" - 4.56 gears - armoured up - ...and a sound system that can annoy the hell out of Lemon-aid Jay!!
NEXT - Dark green '98 XJ to build up....

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 06:49:55 PM »
canadas worst drivers are from sask and alberta born and raised .. people from here cant deal with the large numbers of cars and trucks on the road there not used to it ..

i come from a city that has twice albertas entire population and we have less accidents every day .. for calgary to have 200 plus accidents in one day because of 2 cm of snow is horrible .

04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 07:32:49 PM »
Love the irony of a dude with "lacking tolerance for stupid people since 1985" on his profile resurrecting 4 year old threads.   Guess its a good thing I tolerate a bit more
Fug
TJ Rubicon