Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Need some info for motor swap  (Read 1438 times)

Offline stan-o

• Winch Wench
Need some info for motor swap
« on: May 01, 2014, 05:13:16 PM »
Hey guys i have a 93 xj with the 4.0l i blew it right up ...... What yrs 4.0l will work to swap in? Does it matter if i comes out of a yj or what .... Will they all just plug n play? Or what would i need? Its not a road vehicle .... Strictly fun time haha so i dont care about engine lights or anything .... As long as it hauls through mud n crap thanks guys

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Re: Need some info for motor swap
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 06:23:13 PM »
91-95 XJ YJ and zj will bolt up 96-99 XJ and zj will work to but you have to swap over all the sensors. Lots of options
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline stan-o

• Winch Wench
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 10:57:53 AM »
What do you mean swap all the sensors ...... Will the sensors on my motor fit right into the new motor? Same locations? Or would i have to lengthen the wiring harness a bit... And what all sensors would i need to swap? 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:59:57 AM by stan-o »

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 03:44:39 PM »
I have put much newer 4.0L in older jeeps just use all the old parts from the original engine.

"
The HO and Renix have some differences but none that can’t be overcome very easily.
Any HO engine from an XJ or ZJ through 1999 can be used. One running change was that the rear of the head was no longer drilled and tapped for the temperature gauge sender beginning in the 96 model year. The sender can be relocated to the threaded hole in the thermostat housing taken from the HO engine. You’ll have to extend the wire to that location. Some brave souls even drill and tap the HO head for the sender.

You will be using the intake and exhaust manifolds from your Renix, along with all your sensors and wiring. Since the intake ports of the HO are slightly different, you use the Renix gasket. Exhaust ports are identical. You will need to use your Renix distributor as it is different than the HO because they use different fuel management systems. The flywheel or flexplate from the Renix must be used so your CPS gets the correct signals. The valve cover from the Renix allows you to keep your CCV system intact and requires no modifications.

The HO block will have a plug in the coolant galley on the driver’s side of the block, closest to the front, which needs to be removed so your Coolant Temp Sensor can be installed in it’s place just as it is on the Renix. It requires a 5/16" square drive or a modified 3/8" drive that has been ground down to fit. Do this before installing the engine.

As for the knock sensor, which is located just above the oil pan on the driver’s side of the engine about mid way, all the blocks I’ve seen are threaded for it. If not, I’ve heard they may be drilled but not tapped. Tap the hole if that’s the case."
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 03:52:21 PM by JENSSEN »
www.racingforthecure.ca

Definition of Link to this definition of Blasphemy
1. [n] blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Offline stan-o

• Winch Wench
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 05:13:20 PM »
Thanks guys ill let you know how she turns out
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 11:34:03 AM by stan-o »