Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: brake help  (Read 1898 times)

bgill

brake help
« on: June 14, 2006, 11:52:58 PM »
so driving home today I could smell brakes, didn't really think to much of it considering that I was in traffic stop-go-stop-go and the 35s were taking a toll on the stock brake set up, then I came to a red light and I thought my jeep was on fire. so I pulled off to take a look and found that it seems as if my front driver side was staying locked up, I let it cool for a bit then made my way home and let it cool for a good hour with some water from the hose as well. has anybody had this problem or know why or what causes it?

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
brake help
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 06:37:17 AM »
Seized caliper
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
brake help
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 08:02:29 AM »
autovalue calipers I think are around $75 with core swap. correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline redbull

• UberWheeler
brake help
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 10:20:00 AM »
Quote from: "apex"
autovalue calipers I think are around $75 with core swap. correct me if I'm wrong.

Much cheaper than that at PartsSource. I paid $30 after core refund.

Changing a caliper is very easy with simple tools. Here's a thread I made last year after overhauling my complete front brakes:

http://www.calgaryjeep.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=929&highlight=brakes

Offline Joel

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Super Uber Web Wheeler
brake help
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 10:47:22 AM »
I had the same thing happen to me a month ago driving down crowchild.  As soon as I stopped, it started smoking.

Before you replace the caliper, take it apart and clean the mud and dirt that gets in there.   The inside of my caliper was baked in mud, enough for the calipers to lock up.
03 TJ - 6" body lift and 31 MTR's, other wise stock.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
brake help
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 04:11:05 PM »
Quote from: "apex"

close :wink:
75-80 before 50$ core :D  :D

And yes, seized calipar. Just fixed a couple for a freind last month. Your rotor is probably done as well if it heated that bad. Look at about another 30-40 depending on the price they give ya.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

bgill

brake help
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 03:30:38 AM »
thanks to everyone who replied, just got my new rotors and pads in and am going to rip it apart tomarrow

Offline redbull

• UberWheeler
brake help
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 01:06:48 PM »
Quote from: "bgill"
thanks to everyone who replied, just got my new rotors and pads in and am going to rip it apart tomarrow

Make sure you have 12pt sockets and a torque wrench handy. A brake hose clamp came in handy too. Also brake caliper grease and anti-sieze if you don't have any. Princess Auto or Canadian Tire will have all of the above.

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
brake help
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 10:18:14 PM »
Quote from: "bgill"
just got my new rotors and pads in and am going to rip it apart tomorrow

I hope you got new calipers as well. Or the problem will repeat. I picked some up at NAPA in town on Sunday. They were about the same price as listed above. If you need help with this let me know and we can do it one evening.
Ian
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

bgill

brake help
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 12:28:45 AM »
Thanks everyone!
I started the install then saw that I did need new calipers so went to auto value and picked some up, only 70 bucks for the pair.