Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: What would you choose as a reliable Daily Driver/Wheeler?  (Read 4220 times)

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: What would you choose as a reliable Daily Driver/Wheeler?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 07:54:23 PM »
Also understand that a $1000 trail rig may need a pile of work to become trail-ready in terms of reliability. You don't need to spend money on mods....but a lot of really really cheap rigs are really really  cheap for a really really good reason. If you know your way around an XJ and are confident that you can handle what you're getting into, then go ahead.....trade in your soul and join the unibody club. Just don't expect that what you think you bought will necessarily be what shows up on your first day on the trail.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 08:54:11 PM »
reliable daily driver AND Wheeler?
:laughing:
NO SUCH THING.
If you wheel a daily driver, you will be on the bus to get to work after you break on a Sunday.
Been there done it.
97TJ served dual purpose. It cost over 35000 in repairs to keep it going as a daily driver. (luckily 20 thousand of that was warranty)
Ludicrous fantasy.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 10:29:17 PM »
I just gave in and bought me a 1998 4 door Blazer with GFX package not to sure what that means, but its already lifted with some Ranchos, nice winter tires on it, nice stereo, started up today at noon after the cold night. Its in the shop to get a safety, I didnt realize you already have to have insurance in order to get an intransit permit. It seems like a decent rig, saw some oil on the front drivers side undercarriage. Brakes are a little spongy. Buddy seemed honest, big house out in the country. I did notice he turned the truck off kinda quickly when I let it run to look at the engine.