Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Front End Noise??  (Read 1613 times)

Coolhand Luke

Front End Noise??
« on: June 26, 2006, 11:15:52 AM »
Some of you were there on Fathers Day Run and heard my front end. Sound dissapeared that day after 1km, figured it was some mud and stones, this weekend heard it again, can't be coincedence to hear exact same sound again. Sounds like a u-joint, checked all u-joints and all tight, and no play. I put into 4 high for a strecth to get some mud out of the tires, went back into 4 low and sound was gone for the rest of the day. Drove another 20km no sound. My friend walking along listening was not sure how the 4 wheel ingages in front end, me either, said like a sleeve system?, vacum system? Anyone know anything about this? Or what could be causing this sound that comes and disappears. My buddy who is very mechanical, just not jeeps, said its like the 4WD is not totally engaging and slipping? Any advice or experiences like this appreciated.

Coolhand Luke

Front End Noise??
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 11:30:42 AM »
Sorry it is 98 stock TJ.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
Front End Noise??
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 12:05:17 PM »
98 is all mechanical.

Need a bit more of a description of the sound and how it came about for those of us that werent there.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline redbull

• UberWheeler
Front End Noise??
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 01:31:35 PM »
Quote from: "bnine"
Need a bit more of a description of the sound and how it came about for those of us that werent there.

Yes, and when it happens; flat ground, when turning, 4x4 only....

Coolhand Luke

Front End Noise??
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 05:18:57 AM »
I know its hard to describe a sound, we checked suspension, turning the wheels, driveshaft, all seem tight, it only made the sound in 4 low driving forward and not in reverse. Like I said the sound went away after a little speed in 4 hi, and did not come back all day. Could it be the linkage not fully engaging the 4 low? The sound is like its a univ. joint, as in as something turning and rubbing and squeaking, its not a sound like metal grinding that sends shivers down your spine. The joints all seem fine and it went away and did not hear again all day? Just puzzling?

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
Front End Noise??
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 09:04:37 AM »
I had a squeek in my rear driveshaft, u-joint seems tight but after I remove my driveshaft, one of the joints was starting to seize up.  The squeek was only at very low speeds
'95 YJ with a few mods

Coolhand Luke

Front End Noise??
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 10:07:15 AM »
I think I will just get some new ones anyways. What is the opinion out there. If I buy new u-joints, should I replace and install right away and keep old as spares or keep new ones and wait untill I need them. In other words have old spares or new ones on hand??

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
Front End Noise??
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 03:28:56 PM »
Well, I had some angry squirrels and sparrows coming from the underside and front of my rig. I dropped my front ds and it was the cv cup. Turns out its nearly seized and thats where my noise was coming from.

I would say replace the ujoints, and keep the old ones as spares. Better to be 100% certain right now, with a known decent spare to get you home.

But that's just my opinion.

Cheers
Chris
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

HIWYH8R

Front End Noise??
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 09:47:51 PM »
I was wondering how you change ujoints easily on the trail. Big c-clamp, vise??