Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Is this the end?  (Read 968 times)

SuicidalPenguin

Is this the end?
« on: June 29, 2006, 12:48:28 AM »
I fear that the old girl is nearing her end.  

The thing is overheating like mad , it sticks in red even when it's 10* outside (rad is bad, gotta get that fixed with electric fans) which would make this 30* weather even worse.  

Thing leaks oil from headgasket, i have the headgasket just need time.  On top of that, the transmission, which i recently indentified as the dreaded pukegoat, shifts extremely hard.  I'm checking the oil level tomorrow (but the fill plug is conventiently located behind the exhaust pipe).  

I drove to Mopac the other day, and when i started my truck to come back it's idle rose to 2000rpm (guessing it's a vacuum problem, the CCV crap is pretty worn out) but came back down after a slight tap on gas.  Then while pulling out of parking lot, it kept wanted to stall in first.  It needed a lot of gas just to keep it from stalling.  After that it started hesitating in 3rd and 4th gear.

The thing is making a bunch of odd noises, can't identify alot of them.  I know a few are from suspension and steering.  There's a slight knock up front, there's clicking from the valve cover when it shuts off, and there's a load of clicking coming from the console and you can feel the transfer case lever vibrating to the clicks.

I'm not sure what else i can throw into this post.  If i start fixing the stuff i mentioned (headgasket, CCV stuff, cooling) would it return to normal? Am i just nervous when it comes to these Jeep engines?  It's the 4.0 with about (i'm guessing) 250,xxx km's.

Thanks,
Kyle.