Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: ethanol or premium  (Read 1602 times)

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
ethanol or premium
« on: May 06, 2015, 11:47:25 AM »
Alright I can't find any credible info any where just widely different opinions.

Is it better to pay for premium and get NO ethanol or just stick with regular gas and deal with the negating effects of the ethanol?? Does the price difference out weigh the lost milage or vice versa??

Whatcha think?

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: ethanol or premium
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 12:09:31 PM »
I run premium in all my vehicles and have just started to switch over my quads, mower and small equipment.  I do see an increase in fuel economy in my vehicles over regular but I'm running chips on most of them as well so its hard to say if its the fuel or the chips but I run the chips on the performance setting, not the economy.

Whats really driving me me to switch is I've had regular fuel go bad in as little as 3 months. Also I know 2 people that had frozen fuel lines last winter from running regular fuel. Premium has additives in the winter to prevent that.

I have not done a lot of research but have heard that ethanol fuel goes bad faster and doesn't work as well in winter, which is why we have relatively low percentages in our fuel compared to places in the US.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 12:46:43 PM »
Getting like 18 to 19 mpg using prem in yj. Fuel quility lasts longer.
Running reg. get like 13 to 14 mpg. So no brainer there.

Offline Tanner

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 07:48:53 AM »
I have done some research on this as well. Ethanol is just a bad idea all around. Politics and lobbyists are the only real reason we have ethanol in our fuel. Ethanol creates 30% less energy for a given volume compared to gasoline. So, with 10% Ethanol in your fuel, you lose 3% power/efficiency right off the bat. Ethanol is also very corrosive so for older vehicles and fuel systems it can create problems. I run premium (non ethanol) in everything but my new (ish) daily driver.