Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: changing fluids  (Read 1547 times)

bubba

changing fluids
« on: June 29, 2006, 09:27:45 PM »
I am wondering what the proper grade of gear oil for the t-case, tranny and diffs are...I heard that 80-90 will work-but dont want to hafta redo it later-am new to all this so any info would help....

88 YJ-6cyl-5spd
              Thanx

Wif

Re: changing fluids
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 09:41:17 PM »
Quote from: "bubba"
I am wondering what the proper grade of gear oil for the t-case, tranny and diffs are...I heard that 80-90 will work-but dont want to hafta redo it later-am new to all this so any info would help....

88 YJ-6cyl-5spd
              Thanx

I ran my diffs on 75W-90 semi synthetic .. same stuff in the gearbox ... no probs if you have the Peugeot , but an issue if you have the AX-15 .. GL-5 eats the syncros.
Xfercase takes ATF.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
Re: changing fluids
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 06:48:51 AM »
Quote from: "bubba"

88 YJ-6cyl-5spd
              Thanx

I run regular 75-90 in my diffs. in the summer but I put 75-140 synthetic in the winter (I did change my gears to 4.56 though... I just put regular 80W90 when I had my stock 3.07). Check out your Jeep user manuel for your tranny and T-case. Jeep will give you options...

I went all synthetic this year and I love it. I had issue shifting but since I put synthetic 75W140 in my tranny ..it shifts like buttah.  :D

I use ATF oil (the red stuff) for my t-case.

It's all written in the User's Jeep book (if you still have it).

Cheers

RedYJ

changing fluids
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 09:56:03 PM »
I put AC Delco syncromesh (synthetic) in my tranny it seems to shift nicer.  I couldn't even find that SL-5 stuff that your not susposed to put in

bubba

changing fluids
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 12:41:50 AM »
thanks for all the help-will prob use 80/90 for now-but I am having some rear end noise-just got the jeep and I havent done any fluid changes yet...god knows how long since its been done-weekend project

anyways thanx for all the responses

bubba

changing fluids
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 06:03:14 PM »
okay-maybe I am blind-but in the haynes manual it doesnt say what the capacities for the front and rear diffs are-also how do I know what drivetrain I have-first 4x4-new to the whole thang-know enough about cars...but jack on 4x4s...thanx again