4x4 Related Groups > Tech Talk

Axle Beef-Up vs Ground up Swap/Build

<< < (3/3)

duck454ss:
For sake of simplicity and ease of parts I was thinking of using the Sixty9 front and back high pinion with ~99-04 F350 outer components.... Ball joint knuckles and unit bearings would be plenty strong.... Just a matter of sourcing parts and actually building it...... Or just find a pair of super 60's and narrow the front and chop one up and make a rear axle...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duck454ss:
question for the masses.... has anyone considered using JK knuckles on a tj? it would allow for a better unit bearing and to run beefier stubs. all that seems to be required is offset ball joints?

thoughts?

w squared:
JK Knuckles aren't exactly wonderful, nor are the unit bearings....and the 5 on 5 doesn't leave room for locking hubs - or at least I don't think so.

If I was going to swap knuckles on any axle, I'd probably aim to go to a 5 on 5.5....or maybe an 8 lug pattern, and run locking hubs. Also purpose-built hubs for off road.

Then again, I'm running a built up JK front axle under my JK....but that's mostly 'cuz that's how I bought it.

duck454ss:
ya its pretty much what i think too...  just tossing the idea out there.

Graveltravels:
Personally, aim for something that will allow a locking hub. And no unit bearing. The unit bearings main draw is manufacturer side. It's built to take the wheel the manufacturer specs for 100,001km. They're not rebuildable. Easy to replace. But that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version