Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: FJ cruiser  (Read 3889 times)

HappyTheJeepMan

FJ cruiser
« on: July 04, 2006, 04:01:32 AM »
Well...they are all over the city now.  The FJ cruiser.  Kinda cool, kinda diffrent.  

It wasn't until I was watching a auto-mag show on TV the other day that the real hurt came.  The real knife in the heart for the old school Jeep lover.

It was at the point they listed the 'other trucks in this class'.

'Jeep Liberty'  :roll: man I had never thought of that. These damn FJs are about the same usage and price as a Liberty.  But they are so much more 'manly'.  :wink:   So much cooler.  :cry:

(insert hellfire Emoticon) D/C PLEASE, why can't you come up with something like the FJ...I'm starting to drive by the TOYOTA dealer daily.

What do you think people?  Would you rather buy a FJ or a Liberty (talking for your self...not your wife or daughter)

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
FJ cruiser
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 08:30:33 AM »
well, I hate the liberty. It looks prepubecent amongst its family members.

I like the design of the FJ, really wish it hate a modular top. Hate the IFS desipte its long travel design. Love the fact that they share a lot of parts with Tacos, 4runners, and Tundras. Love the Torsen Lock T-case and rear locker. @ $35,995 for a Model C w/ Stick I'm eyein them up, then I remember I got a house and jeep to pay for.

Offline RedDog

• Budget Lift
FJ cruiser
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 05:11:25 AM »
I read all the articles for 18 months (along with tales of the next Wrangler and spy photos of both) and was mildly interested before I bought my TJ in December.  For me it came down to the top.  I'm never going to own a vehicle again who's top I can't whip down.  That's where Toyota lost me.

The FJ IS pretty cool though and we should be thankful a manufacturer would develop such a thing.  Where are Land Rover Defenders in our market though?
I'd rather be dragging a club than clubbing in drag
05 TJ mildly enhanced • 08 Buell XB12XT • 08 Santa Cruz Superlight

SteveO

FJ cruiser
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 04:30:27 PM »
There's an FJ comingout in the next couple months with more offroad features and a removable top.  FJ vs Liberty?  Not even a contest.  FJ wins in every category.

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
FJ cruiser
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 09:46:32 PM »
FJ.   Easy decision. 32'' tires, locking diff. When it comes out with the removable top it's going to give the new JK's some serious competion I imagine pricing will be real close to the  07 rubicon. Unfortunatly it doesn't make much difference to me, I can't afford either :lol:

But I have wheeled with a couple of liberty's and they do just fine.
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Offline calltrex

• Talks waaay too much!
FJ cruiser
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 09:56:35 PM »
FJ got no flex.  Watched a show a while ago. Ill take the 07 rubicon hands down...
........___________
.......//.......""""......\\
....=//___________\\=
.....(@)___JEEP_(__@)
......\____I===I____/
.../""""/........J
../""""/=(=)___....../""""/
./___/............==/""""/
....................../___

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
FJ cruiser
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 11:01:02 PM »
i dunno... i thought removable top was just a rumor. Have to admit... I'd love to see one on 35's and sever fender trimming.

SteveO

FJ cruiser
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 10:00:11 AM »
Quote from: "apex"
i dunno... i thought removable top was just a rumor. Have to admit... I'd love to see one on 35's and sever fender trimming.

I just read it yesterday in a Toyota mag where they had a feature on them so I'd say it's reliable.  Pg7 says "This FJC will come with beefier shocks, BFG tires, new wheels, and possibly more features TBA.  New colors including Tan and Red and also a convertable version, are also said to be in the works."

Have a look at www.4wdtoyotaowner.com for some videos, pics and maybe more info about the convertable. .....Steve

80CJ

FJ cruiser
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 08:37:14 PM »
Quote from: "apex"

Something like this?
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5619479&posted=1#post5619479

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
FJ cruiser
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 08:41:58 PM »
For myself, an FJ.  For the wife, whatever she wants...she actually likes the diesel Liberty, and if I could find a manual one, I probably would have her in one by now.

What's an FJ run nowadays?
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

henry

FJ cruiser
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 08:49:02 AM »
Quote from: "TJ54"
FJ.   Easy decision. 32'' tires, locking diff. When it comes out with the removable top it's going to give the new JK's some serious competion I imagine pricing will be real close to the  07 rubicon. Unfortunatly it doesn't make much difference to me, I can't afford either :lol:

But I have wheeled with a couple of liberty's and they do just fine.

Jeep Liberty will do just fine in whats left of Waiparous.  My wifes Liberty is great, except for the fuel economy.  If they came with a soild front axle they would be very good.  

Test drove a diesel Liberty a couple weeks ago, not a bad ride at all.  Same power and driveability of a 3.7L V6, maybe even more power pulling.  What is the towing capacity of the FJ?  Will it also pull 5000lbs.?  Are Jeep Libertys' serious offroaders, no, but are they a decent vehicle, absolutely.  Haven't driven an FJ yet, but they look like a goofy overpriced plastic Tonka Toy to me.  I'll take a Rubicon over it anyday.

Let the flaming begin!!!!! 8)

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
FJ cruiser
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 10:57:15 AM »
Quote from: "henry"
,but they look like a goofy overpriced plastic Tonka Toy to me.

You say that like it's a bad thing :D  I like tonka toys :D

FJ towing cap. is 5000lb, that should be enough to tow a couple of quads. But they need to do something about that rack on the roof, it looks like something from the home depot plumbing dept.
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
FJ cruiser
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 11:38:07 AM »
Plus OME already has a lift, front and rear lockers, and bull bars built for the FJs so now someone can add BOGGERS and make it a real mall crawler
'95 YJ with a few mods