Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: New tires!!!!  (Read 1483 times)

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
New tires!!!!
« on: October 10, 2019, 06:55:10 PM »
Ok, so I’m getting new tires for my Xj soon. I’m just about ready to order. I’m pretty certain i already know what I’m going to try.
But, I figure I’ll ask.
Post up what tire, size, and your jeep. And post how you like them in mud, dirt, gravel, street, ice and snow.
Not looking for debates or arguments, just a good honest idea how each tire is.
Also, prefer experience with these tires for at least a year.
I personally don’t care about the price of each tire either.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: New tires!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 08:16:03 PM »
They’re probably not aggressive enough for you but you can’t get a much better all around tire than the BFG KO2’s. Good price, good fuel economy, low road noise, light weight, good in Winter, excellent in Moab rocks, get lots of miles out of them, the only downside is lack of mud performance.
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline MattMan

• Administrator
  • That CB Yapper
  • old age & treachery wins over youth & vigour
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 08:03:14 AM »
I really can’t complain much about my Duratracs for all around performance. The ones I’m running are 11” wide and with the lower sidewalls I have they tend to ride a little harsh so I prefer to run them under pressure. Doesn’t seem to impact tread wear though as I’ve put 55K on them and still have ~14/32 on all of them. Always seem to be on sale at Crappy Tire and you can go online there and get fairly thorough performance ratings on a lot of different brands
MattMan

'21 JL Rubi, 3.6l 8spd, Warn VR10, 2.5" lift, Tazered w/35’s

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 08:42:56 AM »
I can offer good input on both the Toyo MT radials, The BFG AT's, and the Goodyear Duratracs.

The Toyos (E rated) are heavier than any other radial that I know of. They also have tough sidewalls, and if you adjust you air pressure to suit the weight of the vehicle, they wear super slow and even on pavement. They are loud-ish, but deal well with mud, rocks, Moab, and gravel. If you don't mind the noise and the "nobbly bits" they are find for pavement use too - I've driven my rig all over the Western US on several road trips (one week up to one month in length) and they did great. I also find that Toyo quality control is great - the last 4 I bought didn't need any weights to balance on the factory rims.

The Duratracs (C rated), I studded and ran mostly as winter tires, although I did wheel them a bit in the fall. They offer 80% of what the Toyos do in the mud - failing mostly in the area of sliding sideways. Studded, they are very good in snow and ice - better than the BFG AT's, but that's probably partially may be due to the studs. I found them to have great manners on the road, but they are not as tough as the Toyos.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 01:41:42 PM »
I guess I should list what I’ve already used.
Original Goodyear MTR’s. Good on the street, light in weight, good in trail, dirt and rock crawling. Ok in mud, not amazing. Hard to find nowadays. I had these in 33’s and 35’s.
Bfg AT. Good on the street. Not as good as I expected offroad. But for an all terrain I probably asked more then it could deliver.
Had them in a 30” and 31”.
Mickey Thompson MTZ. 33” size.
When they were new they worked well everywhere. As they got lower on tread their performance dropped off. They have been updated to the P3 version which is supposed to be better.
35” Falken MT01. Good street manners, good in dirt and Alberta rock. Good in mud, a little better then expected. My first winter with them they were fine offroad. Second winter not so much.
37” super swamper SX2. 1” thick tread lugs! They measure small! Closer to 35”. Not very street friendly but they worked. Worked  good in mud, dirt and rocks out here. Should have aired down more for the little snow and ice wheeling I did. Were barely ok for that stuff.
37” toyo open country MT’s. Good street manners, no vibes with balancing beads. Heavy, I repeat, heavy. But tough, very tough tire. Aired down to 5 psi and they flexed and wrapped around dirt and rocks very well. Pretty good in mud, more so due to size then tread design. I think they are about as good as you can expect a radial mud tire to be in the mud.
37” super swamper Iroks. I haven’t run them long but they impressed me a lot. They are far and aired down to 8psi the floated very well. Fine on the rocks and dirt. Very good mud performance. Street wise fine, no shakes just a little more noise then usual.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline MattMan

• Administrator
  • That CB Yapper
  • old age & treachery wins over youth & vigour
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 08:33:00 AM »
I think I’m going to consider trying those Cooper SST Pros that Ryan had on down in Moab. They seemed to perform well in the rocks and he had a lot of good things to say about them. What was he running... 35’s??
MattMan

'21 JL Rubi, 3.6l 8spd, Warn VR10, 2.5" lift, Tazered w/35’s

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 05:19:58 PM »
Comment to the above...

Lots of People have had great things to say about their STT Pros while have been I have been underwhelmed...

-Good/Decent in most summer off-road conditions, Dirt, Gravel and Rock they are great but they don't surpass any other solid tire. Mud they are decent but there are better tires...

-Oddly hit or Miss in winter wheeling conditions, some times crap other times  solid....depends on the conditions. Certainly not a strong overall performer.

-I always had a feeling these tires were not very stable in winter driving conditions, one day last spring I slid into the ditch doing 70 kph and learned it was more than just a feeling, never had any problems like this with other MT's in the winter.  Because of this I am looking into buying some "winter tires" (General Grabber ATX) For the Jeep...or just different MT's. Just to get to the trail head or drive around with a piece of mind in the winter.

-Fine road Manners, but loud by any measure

-They run small, my 35x12.50 Came out to 33"  fully inflated on my Jeep TJ.

Cooper Replaced my first set free charge as it took over 20oz to balance some of the tires (All were terrible)...New set was better but not close to perfect, Maybe there were some quality control issues in the 35x12.50R15 tires when I purchased?

I have had these tires for about 3 years now and won't miss them when I replace them.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 05:57:05 PM by Jrama »

Offline Rubi55

• Winch Wench
  • Ryan
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 12:14:24 PM »
Yeah I was running 35" STT Pros in MOAB and they were fantastic.  Do pretty solid in the mud, but I don't have a ton of time in the mud on them.  Winter's been pretty solid too.  On a SUPER icy hill out in waiparous the other weekend aired right down they did pretty good.  More siping would for sure make them all stars in snow and ice but I have no complaints, especially considering how they've done in every other situation.  Minimal road noise and drive great.  To each their own but I love these tires.
'11 JKU Rubicon

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 10:17:43 AM »
Best offroad tire I ever had was the BIAS ply Iroks, 36X13.5X16. Super tough tire. I wore out 2 sets. Worked great around Alberta, especially in winter. Worked fine in Moab. Not a great street tire and fairly soft so it would wear fast on the street. Interestingly I tried a set of 37" raidals and cut two sidewalls first trip out and went back to the Bias.

Next was the Trxus MTs(again the bias plies) these were a 33", very similar to the IROK but can be found in smaller sizes, not as aggressive as an IROK and harder compound, better on street than an IROK and last longer. Would be my first choice for a hardcore wheeler that sees a fair amount of street time. Downside is they are hard to find and expensive.

BFG KOs, never owned a set but worked on a fleet that ran them and wheeled with lots of guys that had them. Seemed to work ok in everything but mud, sucked in mud. On the fleet I maintained we never wore a set out as they always started to cup and wear funny once past about 50%, also performance took a big dive past 50%. Didn't run them for very long. Drivers also complained rocks would pack in the tread and then get chucked out at higher speeds.

I'm on the 2nd set of Duratracs on my wife's SUV, very happy with them. We do lots of trips down the 940 with it in summer and it wears great on the pavement and gravel and works great in winter. Never been off road with them though. I expect they'd be ok but not steller in mud and great for winter wheeling. They can be pricey unless you get a good sale. Good choice for a daily driver thats sees moderate trail use. I wouldn't recommend them for a heavy vehicle(3/4ton+), the fleet vehicles that I worked on that had them chewed them up pretty good, they'd start to chunk off. However these vehicles saw a lot of offroad/gravel use and were usually heavily loaded(oil sands).

I'm putting a 4" lift on my 5.9 ZJ this week and am also looking for tires(on a budget though).  Considering Duratracs($$$) or possibly the Comforser CF3000.

Anyone tired Comforser tires?

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Graveltravels

• Budget Lift
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 10:59:35 AM »
One of my welders has a set on his extremely loaded 1 ton welding rig. And he’s getting good mileage out of them. And they wear like iron. With no sipes. And they suck on the packed snow and ice roads we were running out Nordegg way. Personally, I wouldn’t run them in the winter at all, but they did work well in the mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 11:03:07 AM »
Thanks! I ended up buying some used Duratracs but will keep this in mind for future purchases.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Graveltravels

• Budget Lift
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 11:05:24 AM »
Thanks! I ended up buying some used Duratracs but will keep this in mind for future purchases.

Nice! I actually just saw the pic on the other post. Looks good. Another tire worth a look is the dick Cepek extreme country. Had them all spring and summer, and they’re on my buddy’s tj now, in a 315/75-16”. He says they’re pretty good on the snowy roads so far. And I really liked them for the trails.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 08:02:55 AM »
One of my welders has a set on his extremely loaded 1 ton welding rig. And he’s getting good mileage out of them. And they wear like iron. With no sipes. And they suck on the packed snow and ice roads we were running out Nordegg way. Personally, I wouldn’t run them in the winter at all, but they did work well in the mud.

The old (C or D rated) Duratracs that I had were pretty good on snow and ice - maybe the E rated version has a different compound?
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 05:35:21 PM »
I currently have two identical 2500 series diesel trucks, one has BFG KO2’s and the other has Duratracs. Both are load range E and have very similar tread depth remaining, the only real difference is BFG’s are 315’s on 17” rims while the Duratracs are 275’s on 18” rims.

The truck with the BFG’s is open rear diff but had a topper and bedslide installed (about 500 lbs combined)
The truck with the Duratracs has a factory gear driven limited slip rear axle and an empty bed.

Hands down the truck with the BFG’s will do circles around the Duratrac equipped truck with the road conditions we’ve been having the last couple of weeks.

The Duratracs also have an annoying howl at highway speeds while the BFG’s are completely silent over the wind/engine noise.
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline Graveltravels

• Budget Lift
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 06:04:04 AM »
The old (C or D rated) Duratracs that I had were pretty good on snow and ice - maybe the E rated version has a different compound?

I should have specified, the comforsers are what my welder was running, not the duratracs!

I’ve only run duratracs once, with studs, in a 31” on the CJ. Loved them the winter I had them on. Other experiences with them are with Vladimir repeatedly shoving sticks thru the sidewall, and changing tires lol!