Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 1998 5.9 ZJ  (Read 1189 times)

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
1998 5.9 ZJ
« on: November 17, 2019, 11:52:56 AM »
I've had this rig for almost 9 yrs now without lifting it, new record for me! When I got it the engine I replaced the engine with a factory Mopar reman and a Hugh's intake and cam, Superchips and KN open intake. Since that time its had a pretty easy life as 3rd family vehicle and shuttling me to the airport on occasion. Since then its had nothing done to it except the occasional oil change and a starter.

Last two trips from the airport it let me down, first a CPS then a bad battery. Also the front bumper kept trying to fall off due to being the wrong year, the steering was getting pretty sloppy as were the brakes and the tires had sidewall cracks. Time for some upgrades.

I still had lots of parts from my old rig, winch, bumpers, some lift kit stuff. as well as few things I collected over the years for this build, 4" coils and Bushwacker flares. My goal is to turn it into an expedition style rig with good road manners.

Some shopping on Kiiji and FB scored me a rear adjustable RC trac bar and all new ceramic front brakes.  Amazon provided bilstien shocks, front RC trac bar, RC swarbar discos, Rugged Ridge steering kit. FB again scored me some rims and Wrangler Duratracs(285/70/17). I was looking for some 265s but these were a pretty good deal and I like th look of the silver trimmed rims. If anyone recognizes them left me know as I'd like to get some center caps.

Installation was pretty straight forward, got lucky and no seized bolts. The rugged ridge steering went on easy but rubbed pretty hard on the right rim when turning hard left, no worries new tires/rims coming anyway. The rugged Ridge steering bolts right on, no mods needed, was only a bit more than what I would have spent on all new OEM stuff, and changes to a T type setup so easier to adjust, and much beefier. Being on a budget I stayed with stock arms and put new bushings in the front lowers. This will probably have to change as at 4" its pulled the wheels(F&R) into the wheel wells and the short front arms give a pretty harsh ride.

Installing the Bushwackers revealed that the rockers are completely rusted out, will need to do some 4x6 rockers down the road. Installing the tires showed that Bushwackers were a good choice as the tires would have hit the fenders without the trimming that is done when installing the flares. Due to the was the the sway bar discos are designed they sit outboard a bit from the stock ones, this caused hard rubbing of the right side tire inner sidewall on the link on full left turns as well as rubbing on the lower control arms at full turn(no surprise). I've flipped the say bar link around for now and added some washers to the steering. Oddly enough it still seems to turn as well as before. I may add a 1" wheel spaced down the road.

So for now its done. I have to decide what to do about the control arms. I still have my Clayton's LA kit off my old rig that I could use but I didn't like th way my old rig handled on the highway so I havn't decided. I also have some locked 4.10s diffs I picked up awhile ago that I had planned to use but now I'm thinking that 4.10s may not be enough for the 32" tall tires. I still have tons of power but its definitely taken a hit and I know I'll miss making fun of those Hemis with my dilapidated Grand Cherokee.  ;D

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: 1998 5.9 ZJ
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 09:24:35 AM »
It's amazing how important that "with good road manners" gets to be over time.

I built my JK with the idea that I still wanted to be able to be comfortable on a road trip - and on the 35X12.5's it's not bad. Then I put on a pair of 285/70R18's (33 X 10.5 roughly) because those were the largest "true" winter tire that I could find.....and that sort of shifted my perception of how much fun it was to drive highway miles on those 35's.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 10:07:58 AM »
Thanks to whoever fixed the picture.   ;)

Yeah I had an XJ on 31s with 4.10s and locking rear diff.  I had as much fun with it as i did when i went to 36s with custom diffs and ended up trailering it everywhere.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 12:10:34 PM »
Have not updated this in awhile.

Got the 4.10 locking diffs in as well as the Clayton LA. Rear diff was from a TJ Rubicon, got the air pump with it and it fit perfect under the back seat. Also added an Addaco rear sway bar meant for a TJ. Much beefier  than the original and handlimg is improved even with the lift.

Front diff was from a regular TJ with an Eaton E-Locker. I installed WJ knuckles and custom steering with over the axle TB.  Still getting it dialed in and will need to get an alignment.  Need to find somewhere that can handle adjusting the Long Arms. Handles decent though, no death wobble and I am not currently running a steering dampner.

The stock AWD case was swapped for an NP242. I managed to find a similar year donor at Bucks that bolted right in. I have had issues with adapting stock linkages to the NP242 in the past so went with Mountsin Vistas linkage and its working great.  Only issue is that there is a bit of a noise and vibe, not sure if its the t-case or front shaft.  I will have to pull the front shaft and try it without and see if the noise goes away.

When the Clayton LA went I also added some 1.5" spacers to the 4.5" coils.  Now after about 9 months I notice the Jeep sits lower on the passenger side by a noticable 1.5". Not sure why that is but I am considering going with some new 7" coils but then I will need new shocks as well.

Last time out I broke thru some ice and bent up the passenger side front lower control arm mount at the diff and managed to flop.it on its side in a rut and cave in the rear 1/4 panel. 

Swapped out the lower mounts to some HD ones from Rough Country off of Amazon and installed some 1/4 panel protection from Ares manufacturing.