Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Stocker Run and Trail Clean Up / Sat. Aug. 19th  (Read 32720 times)

m0th

Stocker Run and Trail Clean Up / Sat. Aug. 19th
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 11:18:33 PM »
I'm going to try to get out to this run in the Liberty.

Offline Rookie

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • build it, break it, rebuild it better
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2006, 12:17:15 AM »
The very first mod I did to my jeep was a cb

I didn't even ask about going on a run before it was installed

You can get them used through friends or co-workers, relatives and the internet

A cb is one of the cheapest and best mods u can do and it might mean the difference between driving off the trails or being draged off

A cb should be on the top of ur list ahead of lifts ,tires and even a winch

In my opinion  

NO CB NO TRAIL RUN
TJ with some stuff

Rony

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 07:05:40 AM »
Circut City so far is the cheapest ranging 79 to 139 which isnt to bad when you count your own safety. So the next question is whats the easiest way to install it or have it in your jeep I ride alot of times with the top down so it has to be quick removal so no one knicks it when I am not out on the trails. The radios in the work truck are permenantly installed and wired in. Any suggestions and maybe I can have this all organized before I get up there hehe

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2006, 07:34:17 AM »
Quote from: "Rony"
Circut City so far is the cheapest ranging 79 to 139 which isnt to bad when you count your own safety. So the next question is whats the easiest way to install it or have it in your jeep I ride alot of times with the top down so it has to be quick removal so no one knicks it when I am not out on the trails. The radios in the work truck are permenantly installed and wired in. Any suggestions and maybe I can have this all organized before I get up there hehe

If you got questions about CBs, please start another thread in the general talk or technical questions forums.
'95 YJ with a few mods

m0th

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 08:00:40 AM »
Most of the questions have been covered in this thread:

http://www.calgaryjeep.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2952

merlin

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2006, 08:43:29 PM »
just wondering if this is still a go?? would love to make this run as my first. also we need any tools??

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
It is still a go
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2006, 09:18:22 PM »
Quote from: "merlin"
just wondering if this is still a go?? would love to make this run as my first. also we need any tools??

Yep it is still a go! August 19th. It will be a good place to start for a first run. The trail has an easy start, then over two log bridges, then a two river crossings, some ruts, a small clean up project and then back to a waterfall at the edge of the mountains. If we get done early enough then we might be able to make a side trip to Margaret Lake. Bring your lunch. Please make sure your vehicle meets the minimum requirements listed in the first post. As far as tools most of us carry a selection of tools in our jeeps for trail repairs. It is a good habit to get into.

I will be putting up a list of things we need for the clean up project closer to the run.
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

yjcanibul

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 11:53:51 PM »
I would like to go for the drive,  havent seen much of the W area and looks like the planets might line up - will keep an eye out for your tool's req posting as I just picked up a shiney maul (aka BFH) at cdn tire and think it might come in handy for the dismantling :D ....

Randy

Offline redbull

• UberWheeler
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2006, 01:24:31 AM »
I'll try to make this run.

cool99

CB Radios Available
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2006, 12:09:03 PM »

Does anyone have a spare hand held CB to lend to one of the new guys?

Filling the tank in Cochrane is more than enough fuel for this run.

Hey, Roadking Truck Stop on Barlow Trail in Calgary has a Radio shop within it that has some great deals on CB radios. Apparently you can get a mobile CB for as low as $79.  I am sure the guy might have some used ones even cheaper... all you would then need is an attenna (which he also has there) and to do the install.

merlin

Re: It is still a go
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2006, 07:55:54 PM »
Please make sure your vehicle meets the minimum requirements listed in the first post. As far as tools most of us carry a selection of tools in our jeeps for trail repairs. It is a good habit to get into.

I will be putting up a list of things we need for the clean up project closer to the run.[/quote]

oh yeah i have a stock 04 TJ, New 31 Mud terrains, fron and rear tow hook and tonight putting in the CB, and just need to grabb the tow strap from my dads supply. so i think im good to go, just need the hand tools. Any suggestions??

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: It is still a go
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2006, 07:40:03 AM »
Quote from: "merlin"

oh yeah i have a stock 04 TJ, New 31 Mud terrains, fron and rear tow hook and tonight putting in the CB, and just need to grabb the tow strap from my dads supply. so i think im good to go, just need the hand tools. Any suggestions??

Sound like you are good to go. 8)

The more you go out on trail runs the more stuff you start to carry in your jeep. A good place to start is one of those all in one tool kits with sockets and wenches. They have lots of the basic tools and they store well so things are not rattling around. Next, I think a first aid kit is a good idea. This is going to be a fairly simple run and we hopefully won’t have any problems with the jeeps. It is important that you bring things for your own comfort, safety and anything that you think your jeep is likely to need.

On most runs I carry some tools, some extra fluids for the vehicle, a big container of water, lots of food, first aid kit, tow strap, fire extinguisher, extra change of clothes, maps, compass, small shovel and often my pit crew who are 4 and 7 years of age.  :lol:  :lol: As this is a first time run for a few people we do not expect that everyone will have their jeeps packed with all this stuff. You just start adding things as you go on more runs.

At the beginning of the run we will have a drives meeting to go over some safety rules. I will talk about what kinds of things people should carry with them if they are going on more and harder runs.

As far as the trail clean up part of the run we will be disassembling an old utility trailer, haling the parts out and cleaning up the site.  Some of the things that will help with this project: work gloves, safety glasses, hack saw, hammers, pry bars, shovels, and garbage bags. It is important that anything you carry in your jeep should be secured down so it can’t hit you or your passengers on the rough parts of the trail or if you rolled the vehicle.  I am sure I will think of more things in the next two weeks. I am going out to look at the site this weekend and will have a better idea after that.
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2006, 07:48:08 PM »
Ok, Kinda stupid question, but still kinda new to this.  I have a very stock YJ. I Dont have rear tow points on my rig but I have those BUMPERETTE thingies.  Will these work??  did not have anything else on the last run.
AND whats a good cost for every thing needed for min. requiremints (just a ball park).  I was also going to post in the wanted sec. for used things needed.  Please check me out there if you have anything you dont need anymore.  I want to be very prepared for anything.  Just cause I didnt need it last time, doesnt mean Im not gona this time.
Thanxs Mike

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2006, 08:09:13 AM »
Quote from: "BUKI"
I Dont have rear tow points on my rig but I have those BUMPERETTE thingies.  Will these work??  did not have anything else on the last run.

I am glad you asked, ABSOLUTELY NOT

Tow points should be BOLTED to the frame with a minimum of grade 8 bolts.  The bumperettes are just thin steel and not nearly strong enough.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2006, 07:13:28 AM »
I'll try and make this trip.
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title