Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Cold air  (Read 863 times)

Offline HikingViking

• Winch Wench
Cold air
« on: October 18, 2020, 07:41:06 PM »
So I’ve got a couple issues making this cold weather suck even more haha. I’m getting colder air coming through my drivers side vents than my passenger side. I was doing a bit of research and it looks like it could be casting sand clogging the heater core? Any suggestions or experience with that? The other issue which sucks but isn’t as bad is my remote start isn’t working. Every time I try to use it it aborts and I get a message on my dash saying “hood ajar”. I tried replacing the crappy rubber hood latches for some metal ones thinking that was the issue. Stopped hood flutter but other than that squat. Tried unplugging and plugging back in the connector, worked first try but when I tried when I got home didn’t work and hasn’t worked since. I’m more concerned about the lack of heat than my remote start because if there’s no heat anyways than there’s no point in pre starting it haha. Thanks.
Kalvin

White 2015 JKU on stock 18s with cooper discoverer at3, smittybilt xrc front bumper

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: Cold air
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 09:29:34 PM »
Is your check engine light on? I think if it’s on you can’t use the remote start system.
Second issue, very common for the heater core to be plugged like you said. You can try back flushing the heater core but odds are it will need to be replaced.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline HikingViking

• Winch Wench
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 04:45:33 AM »
No check engine light. Went around and slammed every door. Made sure gas wasn’t low and still nothing. I’m thinking a new sensor is in order.
Kalvin

White 2015 JKU on stock 18s with cooper discoverer at3, smittybilt xrc front bumper

Offline HikingViking

• Winch Wench
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 06:38:01 AM »
I really hope a back flush will work, seems like a pain to replace the heater core
Kalvin

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 11:08:22 AM »
No check engine light. Went around and slammed every door. Made sure gas wasn’t low and still nothing. I’m thinking a new sensor is in order.
A sensor could be a cheap easy way to find out. I’ve never seen that issue.
Try a back flush on the heater core, if you can get a coolant flush chemical in there too it might help too. It is a big pain to remove the dash.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline HikingViking

• Winch Wench
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 04:37:31 PM »
Just did a back flush of my heater core today. It seems to be working.... for now.
Kalvin

Offline MattMan

• Administrator
  • That CB Yapper
  • old age & treachery wins over youth & vigour
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 05:03:47 PM »
Well now that that’s resolved... PA has a decent price on a Warn VR8 Evo  ;)
MattMan

'21 JL Rubi, 3.6l 8spd, Warn VR10, 2.5" lift, Tazered w/35’s

Offline HikingViking

• Winch Wench
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 08:55:24 PM »
Hahaha I’ll definitely be checking that out! The flush fix didn’t last very long. Cold air kicked in again over the weekend. Just finished replacing the heater core about an hour ago. Of course it was the “hack” way of doing it. So much better than just flushing it. It was a pain in the butt to get it out and trying to fiddle with the hose was probably the worst part. Got everything put back together and realized I didn’t have the hose on properly when coolant starting leaking onto the floor. Took everything off again and got it on properly. Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.
Kalvin

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 08:08:21 PM »
For the remote start, is it aftermarket or factory? Either was it sounds like an issue with the hood switch. Maybe just needs an adjustment or replace. You could try remote starting it while holding the hood pin switch down with your hand.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline HikingViking

• Winch Wench
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 04:15:37 PM »
It’s stock. I tried holding it down with no luck. I tried adjusting it too and moving it to the other hole with no luck again. It works sometimes tarter I close the hood.
Kalvin

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 09:16:49 AM »
I know this is a late reply Kalvin - but I would place a temporary filter on the hose to the heater for a few months to ensure no more casting sand gets in your new core. But I thought that sand issue was resolved in years earlier than your Jeep.
2008 JKU Ruby, Jeep steel bumper, 9500 winch, 2016 5.3 Chev LT & 8L90 8 spd auto, 285 Maxxis Bighorns, MC 2.5" and LC Arms.

Offline MattMan

• Administrator
  • That CB Yapper
  • old age & treachery wins over youth & vigour
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2020, 01:40:32 PM »
I know this is a late reply Kalvin - but I would place a temporary filter on the hose to the heater for a few months to ensure no more casting sand gets in your new core. But I thought that sand issue was resolved in years earlier than your Jeep.
I was thinking the same thing Barry. As I know it started with my year in 2012. It’s possible it may carried on in 2013 but surprising in 2015. One thing you also have to be careful of is that if you were still using the original MOAT Mopar any freeze you can’t mix it with any other type without the risk of a reaction and it congealing.
When I had to replace my radiator and heater core due to the sand issue I completely flushed the system and went with just a regular good quality antifreeze and it’s been fine ever since.
MattMan

'21 JL Rubi, 3.6l 8spd, Warn VR10, 2.5" lift, Tazered w/35’s

Offline HikingViking

• Winch Wench
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 12:54:20 PM »
Quick little up date, everything seems to be working fine although I haven’t gotten around to fixing the remote start. Heat works pretty well, takes a long time to heat up though. Not sure if that’s just how it is with Jeeps in the winter or what but at least I have heat on my side now.
Kalvin