Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Ghost Lake Ice Tracks  (Read 528 times)

Offline YJGUY

• Budget Lift
Ghost Lake Ice Tracks
« on: January 03, 2023, 04:13:58 PM »
I'll be heading out to Ghost Lake this weekend to play around on the ice racing tracks that are set up. If anyone else is interested we can meet up. I'm good for Saturday or Sunday, supposed to be nice both days.

I was out there last weekend for an hour or so and it was pretty fun. There is a group that has plowed 6 different tracks and you can just jump onto any of them. It's stock friendly, even with a normal car. There are very low snow walls (a few inches high in most spots) so you won't damage a Jeep but you might tweak a bumper on an Accord.

There were people out in all kinds of rides last weekend. Prepped cars, ATV's, SXS and dirt bikes. And a lot of regular people like me just popping in to try it out for a few laps on each track. It's not organized, just be sensible, wait your turn or find a spot in lap to jump in. People spin out and you just have to be sensible about your speed etc and help out if someone gets stuck.

You go in off the boat launch on the north side of the bridge. https://goo.gl/maps/F81YKkvX6dtamxae6

Its protected from the wind and lots of people have fires set up along the shorelines with groups bbqing etc.

If you're interested, post up and we'll see if somthing can be organized, even if it's just for a few hours to try it out and watch some of the others.

2020 JLU Rubicon - 2" Mopar Lift, Smittybilt front bumper, Smittybilt 10k winch, RokBlokz mud flaps,  Unimog Portals, 6x6 Conversion 5:38 gears, Demon 6.4 Swap, 44" Boggers, ARB Traction Boards

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
Re: Ghost Lake Ice Tracks
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 06:32:11 AM »
Sounds interesting.  Good info, never have heard about this.

Offline YJGUY

• Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 10:51:12 AM »
I'm thinking Saturday. If anyone is interested we can meet at A&W on the West end of Town for 10am, grab snacks/lunch and leave by 10:30. It's about a 15 mintue drive from there to the lake.

https://goo.gl/maps/mNafJUcQRpwEdSTu8

If others are coming I'll bring some wood for a fire. Otherwise if you are out there just look for me in the white JL. It will be nice to sit outside in the sun and watch others do their thing. We'll probably hang out for a couple of hours. Dog friendly too. 

There are outhouses at the boat launch and places to park a truck/trailer on land if you are bringing an ATV or SXS. There were a few people trailering their vechicles with the serious ice racing guys having all their cars on a big wedge trailer.

I saw some videos on Instagram and it looks like I missed some nice cars that showed up. Older JDM stuff and even an Mercedes AMG GTS coupe.
2020 JLU Rubicon - 2" Mopar Lift, Smittybilt front bumper, Smittybilt 10k winch, RokBlokz mud flaps,  Unimog Portals, 6x6 Conversion 5:38 gears, Demon 6.4 Swap, 44" Boggers, ARB Traction Boards

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 05:10:25 PM »
I'm going out for a look on Saturday.  Not sure of timing so may not make the A&W by 10.

Offline YJGUY

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 07:17:27 AM »
Sounds good. I’ll be there around 10. Just need to stop at subway first and I think they open at 10.

Offline YJGUY

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 12:21:08 PM »
It was a fun few hours out on the lake yesterday. I was there for about 2.5hrs. When I got there just before 11am it was pretty dead, maybe 10 cars and by the time I left after 1pm there was probably 80-100 people. Not everyone was out on the tracks at once, lots of people just driving around and watching the action. Some kids (and adults) on KX 60 ane 80 dirt bikes were entertaining. I did my good deeds for theday and pulled a few people out of the snow.

Ron popped by to check things out for a bit and hopefully we can get some people out on another day when it is sunny out. That area seems to be just under the Chinook arch clouds so the sun would poke out from time to time but mostly overcast. Could be a good place to have a cookout lunch or just chill in the sun.

I did take some video and will have to figure out how to edit it and find a spot to host it. I'll post up when it's done.

I'd also be interested in doing the Trans Alta one day (even during the week) if people are interested. I hadn't checked the site for a while and missed the boxind day run. :(

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 08:26:44 AM »
CBC wrote an article on this.  I shared it to the CJA Face Book page.    Thinking about heading out here again on Saturday with the MJ but depends on a few other commitments.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ghost-lake-ice-track-drifting-1.6708426?fbclid=IwAR0BNpGUm1fZVAE_tDLI9JAfBPsc38Kdza_ibVVuKGJhHovX7SvXjNtLQDU

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2023, 05:52:26 AM »
Took the MJ out here on Saturday.  Had a great time, so much fun!  If you want to try "drifting" your Jeep then this is for you. Had to quit after two hours because I was running low on gas but was sure nice to "exercise" the new stroker  :).

Offline YJGUY

• Budget Lift
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2023, 09:39:53 AM »
I saw on instagram someone had a Lamborghini Aventador SV ($750k-1mil) out there at some point.

Offline MattMan

• Administrator
  • That CB Yapper
  • old age & treachery wins over youth & vigour
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2023, 08:02:15 PM »
Sorry I missed it. Too many other chores to do  :(
MattMan

'21 JL Rubi, 3.6l 8spd, Warn VR10, 2.5" lift, Tazered w/35’s

Offline Milan

• CJA Members
  • UberWheeler
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2023, 11:39:29 AM »
I went to the ice driving school there many years ago. It was fun. My caddy was pretty good on ice but I could not enter it as I was just a guest. So I drove around in my buddy's Volvo and his friend's v8 Audi S8. The Audi was wild. The Volvo easier to drive due to fwd and 4-cyl engine.
Keep on Jeepin'