Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Cold air intake?  (Read 295 times)

Offline Zooguy

• Baby Wheeler
  • 83 CJ7- AMC 360
Cold air intake?
« on: May 16, 2023, 08:01:28 AM »
Anyone use a cold air intake on a CJ7?
I have gone through mine and it still runs hot. Maybe a plenum would work? Thoughts?

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
Re: Cold air intake?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 10:03:02 AM »
Just a question.  Are you saying you added a CAI and it runs hot?  The point of CAI intake is not to make things underhood cooler.  If you're finding your engine is running hot I'd be looking at things like radiator, thermostat, fan, shroud etc.  What engine do you have in the CJ7? 
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline Zooguy

• Baby Wheeler
  • 83 CJ7- AMC 360
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 06:46:10 AM »
No, I haven’t put one on but thought it might cool the engine down. I have an AMC 360. I have just put a spring in the lower rad hose and it now runs hotter. I have checked almost everything I think. New Rad, thermostat, shroud hoses fans. I just took it out yesterday and the expansion chamber melted a hole in it. It runs as hot as 230.

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 10:08:34 AM »
CAI won't help you at all as it only sucks air in.  Sucking in cooler air would help with combustion (cooler air is more dense) but not help with your underhood temps.  You are definitely on the right path with the rad, shroud, thermostat etc.  Nothing sitting in front of the grill to block airflow (big arse bumper and winch)?  Does it overheat when idling or just when you go out for a drive?
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023, 07:06:36 PM »
The hoses with a spring in them are more restrictive than factory bent ones. This tells me tht the water pump might be suspicious. Take the thermostat out and run the engine to observe the flow rate through the top of the rad with cap off.
Also shine a flashlight or lead light at night (dark) under the hood and stand outside in a dark area and observe how much light you can see coming forward from inside. Surprising where air leaks from to.
2008 JKU Ruby, Jeep steel bumper, 9500 winch, 2016 5.3 Chev LT & 8L90 8 spd auto, 285 Maxxis Bighorns, MC 2.5" and LC Arms.

Offline Zooguy

• Baby Wheeler
  • 83 CJ7- AMC 360
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2023, 06:31:44 PM »
Thanks for the responses. It over heats only when driving. The spring I put in, came from another hose that I cut apart and put it into my silicone one. I will try that flash light trick. Thanks