Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 4.0 engine rebuilders?  (Read 4493 times)

Offline whitefang

• Baby Wheeler
4.0 engine rebuilders?
« on: July 23, 2013, 08:06:07 PM »
well, after a good long road trip to BC my rear main seal it seems decided to blow out.
So i spent a few days in my driveway changing it, it was not all that hard, but i did notice that the crank had a worn groove in it were the seal makes contact, and i also noticed that the old rear main was not in fact that old ( actually quite new, but the upper half was worn out).
when i was done, the first hour was leak free. the next day it dripped a little. a week later i leave small puddles.
so i am back to square one it seems.
So i could just keep adding oil, but aside from this thge engine does have 350000km on it and is quite gutless when compared to my last 4.0.
so i am considering having the engine rebuilt or replaced.
who would you recommend to do this job?
1995 xj Richmond Lock-Right front and back 2" lift 31x10.5 BFG KM 8500 superwinch

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: 4.0 engine rebuilders?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 11:23:11 PM »
Find a reman long block, or stroker. Depends on how much you want to spend.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline whitefang

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 07:42:31 PM »
i would prefer keeping it under $1500.

any local builders? i can deliver the long block.
1995 xj Richmond Lock-Right front and back 2" lift 31x10.5 BFG KM 8500 superwinch

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 09:04:58 PM »
You're not going to get an engine rebuilt for $1500. Consider buying a lower mileage motor and "refurbishing" it with new seals, gaskets, water pump, etc. You can also get a speedy sleeve repair kit for your crank but either the motor or tranny would have to come out to install it. However chances are that if just the top seal was worn out then the crank main bearings are probably sloppy.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
If I were in your shoes and had $1500 I would find a lower mileage engine for $500-$800, freshen it up and do a cam/intake/exhaust. You'll end up with a better motor that will most likely outlast your ownership of the vehicle and cost less than a stock rebuild.

Offline whitefang

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 12:28:47 PM »
im kinda hesitant to put in a junkyard engine, even with low miles you never know what kind of shape its in.
i think a rebuild is my only option. i can easily put 100000km on this vehicle in the next five years, and most of the driving i do is long distance.
but i do like the cam and header idea, it already has an upgraded exhaust.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 02:00:32 PM »
Then you better up your budget. Think double for a complete rebuild from a REPUTABLE shop.

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 07:05:24 PM »
im kinda hesitant to put in a junkyard engine, even with low miles you never know what kind of shape its in.
i think a rebuild is my only option. i can easily put 100000km on this vehicle in the next five years, and most of the driving i do is long distance.
but i do like the cam and header idea, it already has an upgraded exhaust.

Depending on your year of TJ, I am considering selling my 4.0L. Mine has coil packs so 02+ I believe. Around 130kms and has 1 Highriders Challenge Championship on it (I'm sure that adds value hahaha).

Let me know if your interested.

Offline whitefang

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 10:19:03 AM »
well, i guess to clarify for everyone, im driving a 1995 xj. so from what i understand i am limited to the 91-95 engines for swapping simplicity.
but i will look further into that.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 05:12:28 PM »
91-95 use a seperate temperature sensor for the gauge that located on top of the cylinder head at the back on the drivers side. If you have a manual transmission you'll have to confirm the pilot bearing size. Other then that you can use a 91-99. around 2000 they ditched the distributor, you might be able to put your distributor in place of the  cam sensor but ive never done it, sounds possible though. The later years had different cam shaft grinds and different cylinder head intake/exhaust port sizes. You could get any short block and swap your head on. or relocate the temp gauge sensor to the thermostat housing ( drill and tap a hole for it). Someone or some Internet searching can confirm all this. Now if I recall correctly the cam in your engine is fairly tame but has a cylinder head that flows intake/exhaust better. Later year 4.0L heads had smaller intake/exhaust ports but had cam with more lift and such to compensate... So if you had your head rebuilt and put it on a later year block you may gain a little power... Again, that's something g I heard and someone or some Internet research may confirm this.  :)
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline whitefang

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 06:59:50 PM »
Ok, so i am really leaning towards a rebuild or a re-manufactured engine.
Most low mileage engines ive found are 1999-2003.
this too me seems to complicated, it probably can be done, but i am looking for a very simple swap.

so far i found this:
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-engine-engine-parts-2001-jeep-good-power-train-500-00-99k-W0QQAdIdZ509526533

and this:
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-engine-engine-parts-Remanufactured-4-0L-Jeep-Engines-W0QQAdIdZ313048909

and this:
https://www.sandjengines.com/rebuilt-auto-engines/JEEP/CHEROKEE/_/AMC-242LB-1/1031

Now, the last one seems to fit my budget, and shipping from washington state cant be all that bad.
any more thoughts?

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 10:04:30 AM »
As another option, Auto Value sells remanufactured engines.  When I was in there earlier this year I believe they quoted me approx $2,200
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Dizzle

• Stocker
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 03:11:21 PM »
A little Late to post here but I just had my Engine re manufactured by Cetus Automotive in the NE.   Seems like they have done a good job, though I have only just installed it and have less then 100 km on it. Only disappointment was they did not clean up the outside up as much as I had hoped, they painted it... but just painted over all the baked on dirt. So i spent a few hours with a wire wheel and cleaned it up. I paid 1900 and change to have It done.  I looked at other places but as soon as you take into account the shipping costs and if something goes wrong dealing with a company so far away I decided to have it done local. They give you a 1 year warranty if you go the route I did and install it yourself. If you pay them to do it they will give you a 5 Year warranty.   

Offline urban redneck

• Stocker
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2024, 10:40:50 AM »
Thread resurrection for continuity. Search didn't turn up a more recent thread. 

Does anyone have more recent experience/recommendation for a shop in Alberta to rebuild a '94 4.0L?
Asking for a friend.
“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.” - Thomas Sowell