Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Looking for GPS brand/model recommendations....  (Read 4610 times)

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
Looking for GPS brand/model recommendations....
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 06:11:04 AM »
It's pretty much the same... but you get choose your options with the Venture... hardware & software. The Legend come with some basic stuff...

The new eTrex Venture Cx is identical to the eTrex Legend Cx in both hardware and software design, but is not packaged with a microSD card, MapSource Trip and Waypoint Manager CD, PC/USB interface cable or bike mount adapter.

VentureCX...:
Package includes:
• eTrex Venture Cx unit with Americas Recreational basemap
• Wrist strap
• Owner's Manual
• Quick Reference Guide

Legend CX:

Package includes:
• eTrex Legend Cx unit with Americas Recreational basemap
64 MB microSD card*
• Wrist strap
Auxiliary Mount Adapter (to allow connection to mounting kits shown on accessories page. A Belt Clip is not included.)
PC/USB interface cable
MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager CD
Lanyard
• Owner's Manual
• Quick Reference Guide

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 08:53:51 AM »
Just to add, the software is free at Garmin's site (plus there are better alternatives out there that are free) and also comes with any mapping products that you want.

Jaguar

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 05:11:51 PM »
Quote from: "calltrex"
The GPS Map 76 went on sale today for 1/2 price at canadian tire.

Is that a good model to buy for the trails, or is it best to save up for something better? (Sorry for the Hi-jack Dom, but now you go my interest perked) Here goes more moeny I don't have lol

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396670273&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443211533&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670271&bmUID=1156720005584&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

I guess the Venture Cx is only $20 bucks more.....

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2006, 08:51:39 AM »
The only real problem with the 76 is that it only has 8 MB of memory, so will not hold very many maps.

Jaguar

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2006, 10:40:58 AM »
That was the only thing that really turned me off from that one. But I can't find any info on the Venture if it has any built in memory or not. I'm assuming it does, cause I believe it comes with a base map preloaded.

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2006, 02:26:41 PM »
The Venture has built in memory ONLY for waypoints, tracklogs and the Base map.

You need to add a micro-SD card to add detailed maps.  So add $25 to get a 256 MB card.