4x4 Related Groups > Tech Talk

Front Driveshaft woes

(1/3) > >>

RUBI:
:shock: My front driveshaft on my '05 Rubi ( 15,000km) is squeeling like a stuck pig.........this started just last week , after our last outting. Did a few river crossings, nothing major, now this. Anybody else had any problems with theirs ?? Goes into the dealer on Tuesday, but I think I'll go down tomorrow and talk to them in person first........if they want to put the same thing in (no grease nipples) (What was Chrysler thinking  :? )
then maybe I'll see if they can upgrade or something.

RckyMtnTJ:
Common on the non-Rubi TJ's, so I would imagine its the same thing.  The ball centering kit in your front driveshaft is dry.  Under warranty they will either clean out your brakes or replace your driveshaft.  Off warranty they will want to replace your driveshaft as well.  I am assuming you have warranty.  If not DSI in Calgary should be able to hook you up with a ball centering kit for around $60ish.  You could also drop the shaft and clean it out and get some grease in there.  Just make sure that the pins don't fall out.

HTH,

Bnine:
Done mine twice in 3 years. Spyders once in 1 year.

Problem with grease fittings is that the greasable center ball does not fit in the CV we have. Same on TJ's.

I've done simple rebuilds on mine, and havnt done the conversion yet.

We converted my wifes to greasable. That involves cutting off the existing CV head and welding the correct one on.

The whole thing including new joints all the way through was in the 260$ range.

If you are good with a welder you can buy the parts and do the welding yourself, just make sure you take it back in when you are done and have it re balanced.

Parts are still going to run into the 180-200$ range. DSI labor is very reasonable.

Good luck

blackrube:
mine was done under warenty through tower

thunderstruck:
They replaced my driveshift under warrenty 3 months ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version