Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: running muds at differnet thread %  (Read 850 times)

Offline Jafar

• Budget Lift
running muds at differnet thread %
« on: March 07, 2007, 03:06:32 PM »
would it be ok to run in the REAR 1 33" Mud T/A at close to 100% thread and 1 at about 80% thread on a 97 TJ limited slip?

Thanks
TC
"SAVE A TREE, HIT A ROCK"

Offline cotaman

• UberWheeler
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 03:58:45 PM »
i ran into this problem a couple months ago after slicing a tire.... i had about 85% tread left on 3 tires with a welded rear diff.  i put a new set on the rear and used the tire in the worst condition of the 3 as a spare. the transfer case can take some difference in tire size, granted it is a very small difference, before it grenades :shock: .  if your diffs were open it wouldn't be such an issue but with even a lsd i think you would have a issue with a significant size/wear difference between the two tires.

i have been running these tires for a few months already and have not had any issues

there may be others out there with more insight / experience on this isse
98 ZJ, 5" lift, 4.10's, 33" Dick Cepek Mud Country's, 231 swap,  winch/bumper, rock rails, lincoln locker, CB, parked, waiting to pass SK insp
01 WJ, the pavement princess that has been mirror deep in a hole
RIP -- 88 XJ, 3" Skyjacker, 31 MT

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Tires
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 04:19:41 PM »
I have had the same issue since I put a log through one of my tires, one at 100% the others at 70% (estimated). For now I am running the two with the uneven trends on the front so it is an open diff  and not the rear limited slip. No one had suggested I would have a problem though if on the rear. Lots of guys have spares with slightly less or more tread than the other tires. Could one of the mechanic gurus on the site educate us please.

Thanks
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline Jafar

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 01:14:04 PM »
Anyone else have an opinion on this. I currently have one at close to 100% and one at 70% in the rear, i just priced one at Kal Tire and installed cost $303. Im just wondering if im wasting my money buying another or ill be fine with what i have.
"SAVE A TREE, HIT A ROCK"

Offline BrokenAxle

• That CB Yapper
    • Broken Axle home page
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 01:10:15 PM »
when you have different size tires on the same diff, they will turn at differnet speeds.  on an open diff this is not a huge concern because it is designed to do this - unless there is a large difference in tire size.  on a limited slip diff however, this means that the clutches in the lsd will always be slipping and it will wear it out MUCH faster!!  the clutches will only slip when cornering when the tires are the same size.