Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: If you have a 9.5ti read this.......  (Read 770 times)

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
If you have a 9.5ti read this.......
« on: May 26, 2007, 09:15:24 AM »
I've had my 9.5ti for about 3 years now and used it probably 20-30times. Never had a problem. But I had never stalled it or REALLY pulled hard on it till last week. I was doing some work on the XJ and was trying to bend my lower mount back into shape, I stalled the winch for about 1 sec, I was sitting right there watching it and when it stopped I let off. After that it wouldn't work.... in or out, just made clicking noises.

So I pulled the motor and took it over to the guys at Ampt Tech. What happend was the is the winch is grounded thru the steel case, the end cap is aluminum and the brush holder's mounting bracket is aluminum. Corrosion had started between the dissimlar metals. After enough resistance had built up that once a heavy load was placed on it, it melted off the ends of the brush leads(which were pathetically small to begin with!). So to fix it Amp Tech installed new ends on the leads(bigger) drilled out the screws and retapped them(bigger) and ran an extra ground wire from the damaged brush leads out thru a hole drilled in the cap directly to the ground lug on the outside of the case. Have yet to try it but I'm confident this will be much better/reliable setup.

So if you've got a 9.5ti I suggest popping off the end cap of the motor(remove the heat sheild, 3 allen head bolts, and 2 LONG screws for the motor) and inspect your brush leads, adding an extra wire while in their would be a good idea as well.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles