Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Indian Graves closed  (Read 8447 times)

Offline 4PLAYZJ

• UberWheeler
Indian Graves closed
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 05:08:16 PM »
:roll:

yjcanibul

Indian Graves closed
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 11:35:17 PM »
not sure how to word this ... and I will admit I type then think ...

the gov anywhere in the free world is driven by votes and unity so we should try and band with quads/bikes/snowmobiles/etc I would think,  its my opinion our alta gov does not want to micro manage any activity that isnt 'high profit',  drivers license fee's - fishing license fee's etc are all collected by non-gov private corporate business ... they would much rather see a private corp offroad park's income tax form then paying out $ to enforce land use ...   so ... I truely feel the gov will never consider any type of $ for usage ...

if everyone with a 4L t/c banded together in alta then we could persaud the gov to not pave jasper ave and even put in a few mogels but I sense the gov doesnt see enough unity in #'s to worry about votes ...

1 wrong cancels a dozen rights it seems , a huge discredit to our interests is what I see even as I enter our NW community ,  someone cut through a landscaped drainage ditch and really chewed it up needlessly , and as I turn onto our street I see car? burnouts on a soccer field ... all feeding public perception offroad / 4x = destruction ...  :?  

I applaud CJA being out there trying to make a difference !

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Indian Graves closed
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 01:46:32 AM »
well i have just finished typing up letters to Mr. Stelmach, Mr. Morton and my MLA Dave Rodney explaining my concerns about the issue.   I hope they are read.....
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

HIWYH8R

Indian Graves closed
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 08:42:38 PM »
I think what needs to be done is for us to police these areas ourself.
This is absolute bulls$%#. It's total discrimination to people who own 4x4's. They close IG to 4x4 trucks only????? But quads and mototcycles are still allowed??? The GOV is basically saying it was the 4x4'ers that caused all the garbage and mayhem. Total bull!@#$ and discrimination. We were the ones who went out for 3 weekends AFTER to clean up!!! Mclean WILL be next.

Since most of us have a GPS and digital camera we should photo licenceplates and campsites and tell people if it's not cleaned up when they leave they will be reported. I know, a little risky but we have to do something. I am not going to take this crap anymore :evil: We will loose it all before long.  And the GOV has it's head up their A$$ for going the easy route of just closing down places instead of spending some money on ENFORCEMENT! Man I am pi$$@&.

Offline Asia

• Budget Lift
Indian Graves closed
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 10:30:41 PM »
My mistrust of the PC Gov't and SRD began with them kicking us in the yarbles with GAMP - after our efforts to work with them (cleanups, bridge building, mapping trails).  They screwed us over.

And they stab us in the back (while they were smiling) with the closure of Indian Graves - while the 4x4 community continued to work with SRD in the hopes of retaining/reopening OHV areas.  They screwed us over again.

Now on the news today, some rancher wants McLean closed to Jeeps/trucks because of the impact that he sees as detrimental to him using the area as grazing land.

The PC Gov't needs to heed the message that there will be political consequences come election time for their abhorrent treatment and betrayal of the Jeep/full size OHV commnity.
near stock advocate

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Indian Graves closed
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 01:00:34 PM »
heh, i saw the same global news report. funny how they couldn't find time to add some of my comments about using the area respectably.  pisses me off, even when we get interviewed and we show we are respectable, responsible users, those itnerviews have a way of NOT being used.  It was like the report was written, and they were trying to find interviews to support it.
was amazing to see the rancher also ripped into 4x4s and NOT quads too. apparently ripping around in vegitation is ok if it weighs less than 800 lbs.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
Indian Graves closed
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2007, 02:05:52 PM »
Quote from: "JOhnnyC"
heh, i saw the same global news report. funny how they couldn't find time to add some of my comments about using the area respectably.  pisses me off, even when we get interviewed and we show we are respectable, responsible users, those itnerviews have a way of NOT being used.  It was like the report was written, and they were trying to find interviews to support it.
was amazing to see the rancher also ripped into 4x4s and NOT quads too. apparently ripping around in vegitation is ok if it weighs less than 800 lbs.

DO NOT TRUST THE MEDIA... they will use you to get what they want. Global used the old clips of IG when we went to clean up to show the "big, bad 4X4" on a newer news clip.

It's all about the show... they don't give a crap what we think or that we are losing trails!

Be careful if you get interviewed.... I would just walk away!

Offline 4PLAYZJ

• UberWheeler
Indian Graves closed
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2007, 07:38:23 PM »
I sent this message to the office of sustainable resources the day that I heard of the closure.  I made it short and to the point because I was so angry and I want to educate myself a little more before I bombard their office with letters due to the HORSES**T response I recieved.

This letter is to address the recent closure of the recreation area in the Willow Creek area(Indian Graves). I understand that the destruction caused over the may long weekend was a total embarrassment to anyone who calls themselves and Albertan. However the approach of banning a particular group of enthusiasts will not solve the problem it only penalizes a large group of individuals that already use the areas responsibly and understand our recreation areas are a privilege and not a right. This letter is not intended to be a complaint but a suggestion or idea. In all of the meetings and committees with government groups has the idea of user fees for these areas ever been discussed? If a fee was substantial enough and the penalty for using the area without a pass was high enough it would keep the "rowdys" out and allow the responsible users to enjoy the areas in peace. A system similar to the Banff pass that people have to purchase when entering the Banff National Park. This system would be fairly simple to implement, the infrastructure could be accomplished through Alberta registries. The system for fines could be as simple as anyone found in recreation area without the pass would be subject to a hefty fine(like Banff). This would also give the government additional money to implement the fine system and manage the lowered environment impact in recreation areas. I would agree with anyone who says that the destruction of May long weekend is not manageable on a regular basis, however, the impact of regular responsible users is. In my mind this idea may solve a good portion of the problems for good and allow responsible hobbyist’s like ourselves to continue to do what we love. As a member of the “responsible” off road community I ask that you work with us in finding a sustainable solution. Thank you for your time & consideration of this letter William Haworth (403)243-5644

HIWYH8R

Indian Graves closed
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 08:31:32 PM »
What was the responce?

I don't understand this GOV. These places they are shutting down are OFF HIGHWAY AREAS!! That's what they were created for!! And to just ban 4X4's is completely unfair and discrimitory(sp?). I say they should ban any vehical that is only 2WD. I will be talking to my MLA and telling him he doesn't get my vote next time :evil: And I agree with the park pass system would pretty much get rid of 90% of the problem. And make it cost $200 plus PER PERSON and not per vehical.

Offline GiS

• That CB Yapper
Indian Graves closed
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2007, 02:13:15 PM »
[email protected]
Calgary Sun

[email protected]
Calgary Herald

SEND YOUR LETTERS!! The above are a few more places to send them...I really liked sending mine to Stelmach and pointing out that his support has dwindled to a measly 39% haha.

Below was obviously edited for respective parties,

Dear ,

As an avid user of the Alberta backcountry I am livid with your recent decision to disallow access to vehicles over 800 lbs in the Willow Creek/Indian Graves region.

The problems that arise in the area are not caused by devoted and responsible Albertans. They are caused by high school students and un-educated users. Please reference the Heralds May Long comments on the seven schools that visit the region from as far as 400kms away. The fact that Sustainable Resources is claiming victory is quite ignorant. They obviously have not spent enough time in the area (is this not their “jobsite”??) to understand how to address the issue.

For starters, the issue of random camping has not been addressed effectively. The “camping nodes” you have left open to the public are the exact areas where the May long destruction took place. Give your head a shake!!

I on the other hand came back the following four weekends to help clean-up after the Albertans you have failed to educate. It may seem like common sense to you and I that a couch will not bio-degrade but to some it is not. You have NOT told Albertans how they should recreate. How do they know they are in the wrong?

You seem to like to repeat the statistics of the number of tickets issued in the area on July long weekend. Wow, it is no wonder there were only “few tickets issued”. All seven officers I spoke with explained to me that this is an educational period and that they would not be enforcing the rules for another week or two. I was also told that if users were able to prove they were responsible that there was a possibility of re-opening the area. Tell me how I go about showing that I am responsible when I have nowhere to recreate?

After all, if the method you have taken with Willow Creek will prove to be so effective (in the last seven years, registered off-highway vehicles have grown from 20,000 to 80,000) why not close Deerfoot trail and the QE2 highway?? The province and its population is getting too large, we must shut down more lanes!!

It is no wonder Ed Stelmach’s support has dwindled to measly 39%.

Taking back what is rightfully mine,

Joey Weber

HIWYH8R

Indian Graves closed
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2007, 07:51:06 PM »
Good letter GIS. I also think shutting down random camping within 3-5KM's from any road will also help. Basically it's the areas where 2WD access is the problem. I don't see many off road trailers that far from the roads.

Offline GiS

• That CB Yapper
Indian Graves closed
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2007, 10:45:31 AM »
One response I received, email your MLA guys, there are supposed to voice your concerns!!

Thanks for this Joey; it's too easy to blame one group of individuals when the government continues to fail us in providing a land-use plan that balances resource, agricultural and recreational needs. A consultation with all recreation groups and scientists is then needed to establish standards for preserving our public lands.
I hope you'll get a chance to influence these decisions.
Sincerely,

David Swann MD
MLA Calgary Mountain View
Shadow Minister Environment
#102, 723 - 14 St. NW
Calgary, T2N 2A4
Tel: 403-216-5445
Fax: 403-216-5447
Please check out my blog:
www.davidswann.ca/blog/