Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Letter from Retread Ted  (Read 2389 times)

Offline bae146

• UberWheeler
Letter from Retread Ted
« on: July 23, 2007, 06:28:06 PM »
Letter from Retread TED Morton and my response:

Thank-you for the standard fourm letter Ted.  However I did ask you some questions that I would like to have real answers to.  The letter you just sent was generic and vague and could be applied to any portion of our province.  When I go into Alberta’s back country and see all the devastation that is brought about by poor logging practices I am appalled.  As a responsible off road user I fail to see how it would be even remotely possible for us as a responsible group even come close to what has happened to the forests in the McLean creek area.  The logging companies are logging right up to the main roads, just to the crest of a ridge (allowing the wind to blow down massive amounts of good uncut trees, no reforestation efforts, the list goes on and on.  Yet when we as responsible off roaders with trucks help the province clean up an area (with our larger vehicles because they are the only ones that can get the job done) we get the door slammed in out face.  I am not impressed.  So far the current leadership of the PC party in Alberta is getting a failing grade by the constituents.  I know first hand why that is.  When election time comes around I will do my best to promote responsible use of all our natural resources, by all groups, not just use for a select few.

Doug Voth

I would appreciate a proper response

[email protected]

Sent: July 23, 2007 4:33 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Recreational Activities on Public Land

AR16423

Thank you for your July 2, 2007 e-mail sharing your views about recreational activities on public land.  The Alberta government recognizes that growing numbers of Albertans are looking for outdoor recreation experiences.  Not all landscapes, however, can accommodate the same forms of recreational use or can sustain levels of use by large, heavier off-highway vehicles and random campers.  

The Willow Creek Forest Land Use Zone was implemented to protect that area’s sensitive vegetation, soil, wildlife habitat and water resources, which are particularly susceptible to damage and erosion.  The creation of this Forest Land Use Zone is another step toward a broader strategy for addressing recreational use of public land throughout the province.

For the remainder of the 2007 summer season, the department will be working closely with other agencies and user groups to implement the new rules for the Willow Creek Forest Land Use Zone.  Sustainable Resource Development’s Respect the Land stewardship program will continue to play a leading role in educating Albertans about using public land responsibly.  As well, the department will continue to employ seasonal Guardians to patrol public land and respond to non-compliance issues through the use of warnings and tickets.

Recognizing that community-level efforts continue to be the most effective means of producing change, I truly appreciate the many volunteers and recreational user groups who tirelessly promote responsible recreation and help maintain trail and random camping areas.  Strengthening these relationships will continue to be important for my department, particularly as Albertans are increasingly interested in discovering the benefits of Alberta’s public lands off-road.

In the coming months, a recommendations report from the provincial Land-use Framework sessions is anticipated.  I believe these strategies will help guide Alberta’s discussions about how we balance all of the competing uses for our land.  The provincial government will continue to rely on Albertans for input into the decision-making process to ensure that we meet our shared social, economic and environmental goals.

Further information regarding the implementation of the Willow Creek Forest Land Use Zone, including a Questions and Answers sheet and area map, can be found on Sustainable Resource Development’s website at http://srd.alberta.ca/whatsnew/
WillCreekFLUZ.aspx, or by contacting the Information Center at 1-866-279-0023.

Thank you for writing to me about this important matter.

Ted Morton                     
Minister

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

Offline calltrex

• Talks waaay too much!
Letter from Retread Ted
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 07:52:40 PM »
Its very funny how nothing ever gets said about the logging destruction which is way worse then any jeep could do.

ban camping all together in offroad areas.  it would stop all the retards and partys every weekend. Not many party ers would go to the bush just for the day.
........___________
.......//.......""""......\\
....=//___________\\=
.....(@)___JEEP_(__@)
......\____I===I____/
.../""""/........J
../""""/=(=)___....../""""/
./___/............==/""""/
....................../___

Offline EVOLUTION

• UberWheeler
    • EMF Rod Ends Website
Letter from Retread Ted
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 12:39:01 PM »
haha awesome response Doug.  What was your original letter to him?

Keep writing those letters people... I'm thinking they are starting to feel the pressure of us "monster trucks" & dont quite know how to handle the situation.  Maybe they will start to listen.

I'm still trying to set up a meeting with all of them... they conveniently go out of town all the time.   :roll:
Evolution Machining & Fabrication  403.935.3540
Evo Forums:  http://www.evolutionmachining.com
Evo Joints website:  http://www.emfrodends.com
Facebook Page:  http://www.facebook.com/EMFRodEnds

Offline Mudhawg

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Rig Life
Letter from Retread Ted
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 12:48:22 PM »
Odd... i got that same reply to my letter haha
1984 Chevy 6" Lift 40" Boggers

Offline EVOLUTION

• UberWheeler
    • EMF Rod Ends Website
Letter from Retread Ted
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 01:32:04 PM »
OK so the fact that atleast 2 people have received the same response back, that means he isn't even reading the letters!!!  This angers me  :evil:   Time to write again... this time I will get creative with his letter of response.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
Letter from Retread Ted
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 04:04:59 PM »
My reply from Retread, and my subsequent answers.

My stuff is bolded.

Thank you for the second automated response that addressed absolutely nothing I wrote about.

See the bold between your paragraphs.

Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 4:32 PM
To: Bill Berry
Subject: Recent Land Closures

AR16441

Thank you for your July 3, 2007 e-mail sharing your views about recreational activities on public land.  The Alberta government recognizes that growing numbers of Albertans are looking for outdoor recreation experiences.  Not all landscapes, however, can accommodate the same forms of recreational use or can sustain levels of use by large, heavier off-highway vehicles and random campers.  

Wrong, no landscape can handle use by any sized vehicles when it is left unmanaged, and un maintained. To assume 30,000 ATV’s a year will have less impact in the willow creek then the 25 trucks that regular the area is completely ignorant.
The Willow Creek Forest Land Use

Zone was implemented to protect that area’s sensitive vegetation, soil, wildlife habitat and water resources, which are particularly susceptible to damage and erosion.  The creation of this Forest Land Use Zone is another step toward a broader strategy for addressing recreational use of public land throughout the province.

More canned answers, they may hold water with people that actually do not know the area. For someone that has traveled that country, and volunteered in it,  that answer SCREAMS lack of information. There are miles upon miles of hard pack trail in the Indian Graves area, and there are more then enough trails to implement a yearly rotational program to allow sensitive areas to heal.

For the remainder of the 2007 summer season, the department will be working closely with other agencies and user groups to implement the new rules for the Willow Creek Forest Land Use Zone.  Sustainable Resource Development’s Respect the Land stewardship program will continue to play a leading role in educating Albertans about using public land responsibly.  As well, the department will continue to employ seasonal Guardians to patrol public land and respond to non-compliance issues through the use of warnings and tickets.

YOU NEED TO EDUCATE ALL USERS. Passionate volunteers such as myself, and others like me in the community do need the education.

The people that have never used the back country and just bough 4 brand new quads NEED education.

You need a licence to drive a boat on the water in this province, but as far as uniformed quad, bike and truck users are concerned, the back country is a free for all !!!!!!

Recognizing that community-level efforts continue to be the most effective means of producing change, I truly appreciate the many volunteers and recreational user groups who tirelessly promote responsible recreation and help maintain trail and random camping areas.  Strengthening these relationships will continue to be important for my department, particularly as Albertans are increasingly interested in discovering the benefits of Alberta’s public lands off-road.

If this were true, you would not have made a blanket ruling, and taken away willow creek access from the only volunteers to do anything there.

YOU ARE DESTROYING RELATIONSHIPS WITH 90% OF YOUR VOLUNTEER BASE.

Maybe the SRD would prefer to clean up the may long weekends themselves from now on, because when the truck users stop doing it, IT WILL NOT GET DONE.

Maybe you want to pay the tow bill to haul out the umpteen vehicles we remove from the back country for the SRD every year Ted.

In the coming months, a recommendations report from the provincial Land-use Framework sessions is anticipated.  I believe these strategies will help guide Alberta’s discussions about how we balance all of the competing uses for our land.  The provincial government will continue to rely on Albertans for input into the decision-making process to ensure that we meet our shared social, economic and environmental goals.

You have been given the input for twenty years.

ENFORCEMENT
EDUCATION
USER FEES
TRAIL ROTATION

NOW GET ON IT.

Further information regarding the implementation of the Willow Creek Forest Land Use Zone, including a Questions and Answers sheet and area map, can be found on Sustainable Resource Development’s website at http://srd.alberta.ca/whatsnew/
WillCreekFLUZ.aspx, or by contacting the Information Center at 1-866-279-0023.

Thank you for writing to me about this important matter.

Ted Morton                     
Minister
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline EVOLUTION

• UberWheeler
    • EMF Rod Ends Website
Letter from Retread Ted
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 01:18:25 PM »
Great reply Billy... it still ticks me off that he is sending every single person the same regurgitated email response.

I heard a little rumour this weekend that Gunther took Rick Blackwood out to one of the "closed" trails in Waiparous and his words were "I can't see any reason why this trail was closed".

If that is the case, maybe it is in their best interest to check out each trail before closing.