Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Pulling diffs out of a parts XJ at home...then what?  (Read 1018 times)

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
Pulling diffs out of a parts XJ at home...then what?
« on: November 15, 2007, 10:33:11 PM »
Ive got a parts '87 I want to pull the D44 out of but Im stumped as to what I can do with it when its sitting on stands and no axles and I want to get it towed out....how do I get it out of the garage without destroying the concrete? What have you guys done? :shock:
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline Mudhawg

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Rig Life
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 10:35:34 PM »
im in the same situation buddy haha it sucks... only thing ive come up with it sawzall party and a pickup truck
1984 Chevy 6" Lift 40" Boggers

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 11:10:02 PM »
cavemen used logs?
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline calltrex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 11:14:12 PM »
use those wheel dollys and push it out
........___________
.......//.......""""......\\
....=//___________\\=
.....(@)___JEEP_(__@)
......\____I===I____/
.../""""/........J
../""""/=(=)___....../""""/
./___/............==/""""/
....................../___

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 09:27:58 AM »
Princess Auto has cheap wheel dollys that will support a jeep.  They are about $100 for a set of four and work OK for moving light vehicles around.

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 04:38:57 PM »
Hmm maybe Ill look into the dolly's..dont want to spend too much $$ or the diff wont be worth it..
thanks for the suggestions :)
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

streetvan1

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 04:54:55 PM »
Here's what I did. That's a 90 nissan hauling and ENTIRE cherokee, minus diffs and drivetrain. All we did was cut the roof pillars, fold the roof onto the hood, then cut the strengthening beams behind the B pillars, then simply smash the driveshaft tunnel down with a HUGE hammer, and folded the back of the truck up to the B pillars. You have to wrap something around, cuz it won't stay like that. Then we strapped it down, and hauled it away.

unionjack

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 05:25:01 PM »
hey  how goes it man!!! the last time i moved a vehicle with no rear end was use 2 floor jacks!!!! just put them under where the metal would hit the floor and drag it out using a another vehicle, i hope this works as a cheap alternative

darren

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 05:55:55 PM »
Can a tox truck back up to your garage? I parted out a truck and had the tow truck driver hook upto the back end with his stinger and support it and drag it out. The front diff was still in but the ubolts were loose. Once it was in the alley he dropped his deck, pulled it 3/4 of the way on, then tilted the down which picked the front end up. I then dropped the front axle and he pulled it the rest of the way on.

Now I have my own tilt deck trailer so I put the rig on the trailer, strip it, drop onto deck and then off to the wrecker. Means working outside though.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles