Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Hydro assist...  (Read 3089 times)

Offline 4PLAYZJ

• UberWheeler
Re: Hydro assist...
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 09:17:11 PM »
the regulator is the same idea as an orifice it is just one that can be re calibrated with a twist of a knob
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 09:20:14 PM by ADRC »

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 10:39:47 PM »
I never noticed a difference in the "speed" of turning while driving. I did however notice that when dry steering while at a standstill that one direction was easier than the other. This is due to the reduced surface area acting on the piston due to the ram. I persoanally want as much as I can get and wouldn't "handicap" one side just to make it even with the other.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 09:22:09 AM »
You can try to crank a vane out to 2500psi, but anything over 1400 is above what a saginaw box system can handle. So its pointless.

You want to keep pressure down, and flow up to reduce implosion of parts.

To maintain power you use the largest ram you can fit. Larger surface area in the ram will provide more assist with less pressure.

There are several good assist company's in the states. PSC, KRC, LEE's, HOWE, etc etc.

Only way to not handy cap is a double ended ram. Some have done it on a assist from what I've read, but I've never personally seen it.

Currie sells some of the best steering coolers on the market for a good price. Just search cooler.

Do not use tranny coolers in the steering. The fittings are to small, create heat, and will starve your resevoir on the return side. Causing heat and whine when your steering is under heavy load.

Also, Steve, there is a assist kit being developed in the states to bolt into the stock dampener, and work on the currie system. Although, if you run a cooler, tweak your pump, and get that durango box working, you'll never have a need for a spendy 2000$ assist kit.

hth
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 01:49:44 PM »

To maintain power you use the largest ram you can fit. Larger surface area in the ram will provide more assist with less pressure.

hth

Provided that you have the flow to keep up with it. Too big of a ram and it will take too long to fill and slow down your steering repsonse.

The point about upgrade the resr of the system first is a good point. All I did was drill the valve in the pump bigger to increase flow. I used a stock box and pump, and no cooler. This is probably why it didn't work so good for me and kept burning up the pump.

Start with a better  pump, add the reservior/cooler and then see how it is. This is stuff that should be done to properly support a ram assist anyway.

One thing I read about the  Durango boxs is that the internal stops in them are larger than in an XJ so you lose steering travel unless you disassemble it and replace the stops with ones from an XJ box. Anyone using a Durango box that can confirm this?

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 10:16:16 PM »
I use a durango box on denise's jeep. It is a touch shorter, but barely noticeble.  Most our rigs with the larger rubber is limited by that much anyhow. Although it doesnt apply to her 33's with spacers. If you can use the travel, a wj pitman is a bit longer and will bring it back.

I think you were probably starving by the sounds of it. A drilled out pump with a stock res will almost always starve. Drilling out to 9/64's should flow enough to easily keep up with a 2" ram.

I've had this problem since drilling denise's out and not addressing the res. I'll be trying to figure out how to do an aftermarket res on that stock pump shortly. I'll report back when I get it figured.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 12:35:42 AM »
Yes I think I definetly need to address the reservoir issue. My "reservoir" caonsisted of a hose that came off of the nipple on the PS cap and went into a 1L oil bottle.

I'll be very interested to see what you came up with.

Because I  am running D44 I actually need more throw from the box so thats why I avoided the Durango box. I think though that my old box is pooched so I might buy a Durango box and try it and if it doesn't have enough throw I may tear it apart and swap over the spacers from my XJ box.

Anyone know whats on the market for improved pumps or is just drilling out the stock one just as effective?

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 07:10:38 AM »
I've had this problem since drilling denise's out and not addressing the res. I'll be trying to figure out how to do an aftermarket res on that stock pump shortly. I'll report back when I get it figured.

Have you looked at using a YJ pump since they came with a remote reservoir and then find a larger reservoir to fit your needs?
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2008, 08:39:47 PM »
No, but I'd like to see the fitting that feeds the yj pump. Thats the only road block I'm at right now.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]