Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Shipping from the U.S. FYI  (Read 966 times)

Offline Fredduck

• That CB Yapper
  • RIDE ON
Shipping from the U.S. FYI
« on: January 22, 2008, 08:34:31 PM »

I ordered a part from JB conversions for my Jeep build, it was shipped ground freight via UPS.
The shipping charge was $31.00, the rub is when it crossed the line I had to pay brokerage fees and GST.
The GST  I understand, I don't agree with it, but I undersand it. The brokerage fees were $55.00. ???
So it cost me $86.00 to wait 14 days while my parts were shipped by truck. 25% of the cost of the part >:(

In myreal life I run a maintenance shop, most of my equipment is made in the U.S. and so are the replacment parts.
When my vendor insists on UPS for shipping I pay for overnight airfreight, the reason?
Customs brokerage is included in the price of the airfreight.
UPS will call you and offer to clear your shipment through Canada customs for free
I believe it is the same for Fedex.
 If you get the chance check it out the difference in ground and air freight into Canada on their web site.
3.9 CTD - 7000R4  NP241c SSYE, Dana 44.  9 inch, 4.10's  and 37's

Offline yyc_tbird_sc

• Budget Lift
Re: Shipping from the U.S. FYI
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 08:58:31 PM »
Next time send it USPS, this way all fees are included short of GST. GST is due when you pick it up from your local postal office, or in the case of bigger items....they can be picked up at the central sorting.
-'97 Ranger w/ 4" lift, 33" MTZ's, 4.56's, and some new sheet metal
-'89 Thunderbird SC - 285HP, 392ft/lbs [email protected]

Offline Fredduck

• That CB Yapper
  • RIDE ON
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 09:08:25 PM »
WShen buying off EBAY I always request the postal service for ground transport.
I don't know why americans don'tmake better use of the postal service for shipping over the border.
The USPS will even do your customs forms for you

Offline calltrex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 09:29:22 PM »
yes..  UPS is a rip off.  I never use them anymore.

........___________
.......//.......""""......\\
....=//___________\\=
.....(@)___JEEP_(__@)
......\____I===I____/
.../""""/........J
../""""/=(=)___....../""""/
./___/............==/""""/
....................../___

Offline AMCJeep

• Budget Lift
  • Wheel, break, fix, repeat ...
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 10:49:40 PM »
Just FYI,

If the item is under $20 Canadian you can use UPS, FedEX, etc and there is no brokerage or GST due on delivery. I get lots of small value trinkets via eBay and that could save you the next time not to mention you get fast service for almost free. Not to defend UPS but they only charge to collect the GST and brokerage fee's. If you don't have an account with them they surcharge you for "handling" the money for the Gov't and the company. I have an account with a broker so UPS does not pull that crap on me. The other thing you might want to look into is using a freight forwarder, have the item shipped to the border and have the Canadian company throw it in a DHL bag for you for a fixed rate. I have used this option many times also. USPS is getting to be a rip off with the exorbitant "new" rates they came up with last year and the private couriers are cheaper than the post office, even when you factor in the $5.00 postal brokerage rate - not to mention the ultra slow 3 week delivery times.

Use AIR and the brokerage is definitely included with all the major couriers as far as I know.
09 JK Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Sunburst Orange
90 YJ AKA Papa Smurf"4.2, AX15, Completely unmolested
03 Ram 2500 QC, LB, 5.9 CTD

Offline Fredduck

• That CB Yapper
  • RIDE ON
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
I ordered tie rod sleeves for my Dramax off ebay for $18.00. I asked for them to be shipped from FLA via USPS.
 The jerk, um guy shipped them UPS I had to pay 3 times the value of the item purchased.  >:( >:( :'(

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 10:30:19 PM »
The problem with expidited, air, and whatever else you want to call it, is that it is significantly more then what the ground cost is. So either way, you are paying that amount. You just get it quicker.

USPS if the vendor will do it, and the package is small enough, is the only way to really get around the UPS carnage on your wallet.

Mostly I just go to the boarder and pick my stuff up.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]