Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Which tires to get?  (Read 9624 times)

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
Which tires to get?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2005, 08:11:01 AM »
Quote from: "fug"
... but my TJ did come from the factory with the 30" tire package.  

I'd say if you have 3.73's from the factory, you'll have no problems with 31's.  You might notice a bit of a power loss with 3.07's tho but I've heard of lots of people running them so I figure it can't be too bad.

Fug

Good point there on the gearing Fug. My 02 came with 28" package (yuk!) and 3.07 gearing (double yuk!). Needless to say they kinda suck for pushing larger tires. But if you are only running 30 to 31 inch BFG AT's you won't have a problem with either a 3.07 or 3.73 / Dana 35 or 44. You will find it a little bit slower off the line with the 3.07 because you are pushing bigger meats and likely unnoticable with 3.73.

As for the speedo, I didn't notice a difference until I put the bigger meats on. It all depends on what speedo gear you've got. With 33's 60km/h = 51km/h. 100 = 89-91 but that is because my ride was originally 28" stock. That would be different if your ride came with 30's stock. If you want to swap out the gear on your speedo, here is a step by step writeup. Seems pretty straight forward.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/speedo.html

Ride and handling won't change much. Traction will go waaay up. If you want a more comforatable ride... might I suggest a Lexus ;)

Cheers

:mrgreen:

CherokeeCharlie

Which tires..
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 01:25:37 PM »
I've had the Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revos on my 95 XJ for the past year and half or so.  It came down to a toss up between these and the BFG A/T KO's for me.  I sided w/the Revos based on incredible reviews.

I have NOT experienced fast wear - far from it.  ~12,000 km. and the visible wear is surprisingly minor - miniscule in fact!  And this is with tons o' city (read pavement) driving.

I suspect that a lot of guys go nuts w/inflation pressures on floatation series tires (ie. because they CAN take 50 psi).  Drive around town much  w/pressures way over 30 psi and two things are certain - your ride quality is going to suck and your tread wear will be abnormally quick.

Just my 2 cents - these tires have been excellent!

gcam

Which tires to get?
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2005, 11:04:13 PM »
I've run Cooper AT's (3 sets now) and have had great success with them.  They are good on pavement, I've found them really good in snowy winter driving, and they are almost as good as a lot of light duty mud tires in the muck (but not compared to a Super Swamper or anything).  My last set I got about 80,000KMs out of them.  Similar mileage to the other two sets.  Call Elrich tire.  They have the lowest prices, but are only open weekdays, if I remember right.  A set of 30's were only around $100/tire last time I got them.  I got a smoking deal on a set of Sport Kings this time around, adn didn't find them as good in winter driving.  I haven't been off-road with them yet.

Geoff

thunderstruck

Which tires to get?
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2005, 07:46:47 AM »
I've run 31" tires on 3.07 gears. there is power loss. Made up the difference with a K&N in the box and a throttle body spacer. Even on stock tire 5th gear lack power with the 3.07 gears. Wish they just put 3.73 on all jeeps. Can't justify regearing yet. I'll have to to put 33" tires on though.

As for spedo change it reads about 5% under with 31" tire and 3.07 gears accoding to my GPS. Drives 104-105 when reading 100. (keeps the milage on the jeep down  :lol: )