Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: GAMP Stewardship Update [February 2008]  (Read 4983 times)

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
GAMP Stewardship Update [February 2008]
« on: February 12, 2008, 08:41:58 PM »
Subject: Ghost Trail Plan and Trail Criteria

Everyone,

It has been a long and slow process for the GSMG, but I am proud of where the committee has come to, and optimistic for improved OHV opportunities in the Ghost FLUZ.  I can now announce that the Ghost Stewardship Monitoring Group has made some excellent progress lately.  I am attaching four documents that have all been approved by the Ghost Stewardship Monitoring Group (GSMG).

The first is a diagram depicting how trails will be developed in the Ghost Area.  This involves the GSMG, the other document's I've attached, SRD, and you, the users of the trails. 

The second document describes the process to submit trail projects to the GSMG.  Going forward, all projects will be assessed by GSMG and a recommendation will be made by GSMG to SRD.  This will include maintenance projects on existing designated trails.

The third document is the Sustainable OHV Trail Criteria. This document describes what a suitable trail is for the Ghost FLUZ.

The final document is the first 6 recommendations that GSMG has made for the Southwest area of the the Ghost FLUZ (West of the 940, South of Waiparious River)  This includes several re-routes of trails that are in poor locations, and re-designation of Lessuire creek to 4WD status. 

The next step is for this communities volunteers to 'Inventory' the new trails proposed in these recommendations.  Once an inventory is complete, volunteers can develop proposals to upgrade the new trails to the standards in the Trail Criteria.  I anticipate that trail projects could begin this summer.

I will be scheduling a meeting later in February with interested volunteers to review these proposals with myself, and start review the process to inventory and document the proposed trails.  An announcement will be made as to the date and time of this meeting.

In the interim, please ask any questions to myself, Siggy, Bob, or Darryl, your OHV representatives on the GSMG. 

Proposals for trail projects may be sent to any of the following people:

John Jagorinec
GSMG Chair
John.Jagorinec at calgary.ca

Robert Bolton
GSMG Vice-Chair
rjbolton at nucleus.com

Peter Straub
GSMG Trails Sub-committee Chair
pstraub at gmail.com

Please note that the GSMG Trail sub committee will be reviewing the trails in the Northwest area (North of Waiparous Creek, West of 940).  This is an area with many broken trail connections, no 4WD or single track trails, but is the best area for us to be recreating in from a wildlife and ground condition perspective. 

Peter Straub

there are a few files to browse over as mentioned above.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
Re: GAMP Stewardship Update [February 2008]
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 10:27:28 PM »
all registered users should see the attachments now.  sorry, had this forum marked as a non attachment forum.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
Re: GAMP Stewardship Update [DEC 2009]
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 08:46:50 AM »
This poster will be posted on Saturday on kiosks in the Ghost FLUZ.  On Saturday, volunteers will be posting signs along the trails to officially OPEN the first new trails since GAMP was implemented.  

Also coming in 2010 is an extension of the trail up the South Ghost in the winter to improve access for climbers, as well as a brand new single track trail south of the Fallen Timber campground.  

The Winter 4x4 trails your see here and the Fallen Timber Single Track trail coming in 2010 received unanimous support from the Ghost Stewardship Monitoring Group.  

These trails come with responsibility, however. Volunteers will be doing monitoring of the trail conditions, and if there are impacts from our use, we need to repair the trails, or SRD will shut them down again.  

As such, it is more important than ever for people to wheel responsibly, as we are now literally responsible for these trails.  We use them, we abuse them, we loose them.

Get the word out to your communities.  If you see problems on the trails, specifically and especially thawing conditions during the winter months that might lead to rutting or damage around stream banks, please report these conditions to SRD right away.  SRD is working with us to impose temporary closures to prevent trail damage if trail conditions are not frozen hard, such that damage does not occur, so our monitoring proves there is no impact, and we do not have any maintenance to perform to keep the trails open another year.  

Please post this on your forums, websites, mail lists and talk about it at your club meetings.  If you have any questions or want to know what it takes to get your favourite trail officially back on the map, please feel free to contact me.  

Peter Straub

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:32:54 AM by FiEND »
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:36:07 AM »
link works for me . Ya hoo   more  legal winter trails.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 11:54:30 AM »
Where is this. The map doesn't show the 940 or Hunter Valley, Waiporous valley roads as reference.
Can someone point out 4 corners?
Margaret Lake?
Pretty Rock, etc
so i can actually see where the heck this area is.
Thanks
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 12:36:01 PM »
Point 127 is 4 corners.
04 TJ Rubi

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 01:00:20 PM »
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline mhernden

• Budget Lift
  • Mike and the Red Baron
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 07:46:36 AM »
Wow... that is quite fantastic. 

Looking forward to getting back to Alberta in Jaunary to try out some of the new trails!

Thanks for the post and the map file.  Good to have.

Mike
99 XJ - 4.5" Rubicon Express Super Flex, 31" Dick Cepek Mud Country Tires, Front E-locker, Rear Detroit Locker, Rockhard 4x4 front and rear bumper with sotc, 9000lb winch, Cobra CB.