Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Cost to switch to posi ?  (Read 764 times)

Puma

Cost to switch to posi ?
« on: February 28, 2008, 10:11:51 PM »
Guys,

I have a 94 YJ and was thinking about upgrading to a posi rear end.

What do you think this should cost, and any comments about who in Calgary would be a good shop to do it?

thanks,
Puma

Offline Asia

• Budget Lift
Re: Cost to switch to posi ?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:47:37 AM »
I would overlook the posi trac or limited slip  and go with the full auto locker if you are on a budget.  I have an Aussie locker in the rear of my '95 YJ, and it works great - way more traction than any posi or LSD.  Hoyzboyz is the retailer who sold me mine, and cLAY on the FWS website is a good mechanic that could help you with the install if you are not so inclined.  Shameless plugs for a good product and good people.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 12:49:17 AM by Asia »
near stock advocate

Offline BrokenAxle

• That CB Yapper
    • Broken Axle home page
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 07:15:53 AM »
i do gear/locker installs aswell.  the lock right or aussie locker is a good cheaper choice.  i like the detroit true trac.  but of course you can't beat and arb air locker...

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 09:55:20 AM »
I had a posi (trac-lock) and finally got tired of putting new clutchs in it so I got a Detroit. This was an awsome improvement for off-road but can be dangerous on icy streets.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 10:53:10 AM »
I had a posi (trac-lock) and finally got tired of putting new clutchs in it so I got a Detroit. This was an awsome improvement for off-road but can be dangerous on icy streets.

Amen..Detroit all the way....

They are bullet proof and maintenace free. I've been running a Detroit locker in the rear and  a Detroit Truetrac in the from for about 2 years and I love it.

remember you pay for what you get... a lunch box lockers are cheaper

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 12:13:06 PM »
Guys,

I have a 94 YJ and was thinking about upgrading to a posi rear end.

What do you think this should cost, and any comments about who in Calgary would be a good shop to do it?

Depending on what locker you go with, you are looking between about $350 - $1200 for the locker and probably anywhere from 3-10 hours install time at about $90/hour at the shops.

ARBs cost about $2000 per axle.  I love having the selectability of either having an open diff or full spool

'95 YJ with a few mods