Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: CRD sighting ...  (Read 1490 times)

yjcanibul

CRD sighting ...
« on: May 13, 2008, 06:27:08 PM »
reading JP mag I see JK's are shipped to europe with a 300+ fl/lbs torque 2.8 litre diesel ,  in canada I hear what I thought was a rumor the liberty was to get the CRD diesel but I thought it fell thru ...

so , yesterday at wally mart parking lot I parked right next to a lib with the CRD badge ,  so if its true .. why dont I see more about people getting the eng outta lib wreck's ...

wow ... the euro 2.8L has torque ratings like a v8 ... nice   :)

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: CRD sighting ...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 06:47:41 PM »
i belive the liberty had the crd diesel engine for a couple years. i think they even sold very well. but that engine they used wont pass our emissions or the emissions in the states. and since daimler sold chrysler i doubt a new small diesel will come about soon. awww who knows these days. i  hope they do sumthin. i just filled up and at 90$ to fill a YJ, its gettin bad.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

yjcanibul

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 07:05:39 PM »
didnt know they sold any here ...  those euro 2.8L look pretty good on paper ...

in the usa ( california ), if you put a ( for example ) a newer engine in your car then based on your original year the emissions are better ... like putting a 2005 4L into your 88 YJ ... its gotta spit less crap out the tailpipe ...

so, question is ... is a 2006(?) liberty CRD better emissions wise than an older jeep had ( like my willys  ;) ) ...

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 07:25:12 PM »
One of the things about the CRD is that the Diesel fuel in Europe is different. It contans less cetain and different additives. If you get the European engine and run our diesel in it, it will gum up and do funny things. I looked into importing a Defender and ran into this issue you can do it but it is more then a strait drop in.
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 12:33:47 PM »
One of the things about the CRD is that the Diesel fuel in Europe is different. It contans less cetain and different additives. If you get the European engine and run our diesel in it, it will gum up and do funny things. I looked into importing a Defender and ran into this issue you can do it but it is more then a strait drop in.

Not any more.  The diesel was cleaned up  a year and a half ago.  The requirements are stricter here than in Europe at the moment.  There is certainly no problem running any Defender diesel engine.......

The biggest problem is that the NOX limits in North America are much stricter than in Europe, so bringing in a new diesel requires extensive NOX treatment systems.