Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Xpedition XJ  (Read 3694 times)

thenderson

Xpedition XJ
« on: April 01, 2008, 10:50:40 AM »
I'm looking for an XJ with the 2.5L I4 to do a long wheeling trip to the Yukon.  I want a good reliable drivetrain, a motor that gets excellent mileage, and lots of cargo space.  Iv been doing some research and I think the best drivetrain to go with is the AMC TBI 2.5L with the AW4 4speed auto.  I would like to go with a 4 or 5 speed man but I'm not sure if they are very strong.  I would like to run lockers and 33" tires as well.  Can anyone tell me what drivetrain I should be looking for and what year of XJ I want.  I will keep looking but any help would be great.

born2jeep

Re: Xpedition XJ
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 11:30:32 AM »
excellent mileage

lol

The 4 cyl cherokees are pretty rare, and there is a reason for that. I have never personally owned one, but I have never met someone who likes there 4 banger. There is a large group of jeepers who would not touch one with a 10 foot poll. As per MPG the 2.4l/2.5l only does SLIGHTLY better than the 4.0L. Now on the highway especially with 33s, I would imagine the numbers would basically be the same.

4 Banger owners if I am wrong please pipe up...

-Size wise, the 2 and 4 door are the same. I would recomend a rear tire carrier to free up some room.
-The AW4 is a great trans, but I wouldn't rule out the ax-15 if its been maintained. Could help get you a extra MPG or 2
-stay away from the 84-86 cherokees
-96-99 were basically the best years for the XJ

It would depend on your budget for what you get. I would try to get something that has been well maintained and has less than 300k. Personally I havent had luck with the 87-90 because they have alot of vacuum stuff under the hood.

I hope this helps some.
Sam

thenderson

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 12:07:06 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I am surprised at hearing about the 4 banger.  What engine would you recommend then?  Iv own a 4.0 and it is a hog.  Lots of power and torque but milage sucks.  Is there an engine convertion that works well where I could still get good mileage.  On this trip I will be driving long and hard so milage is a must.  What would you say about the GM "Iron Duke" 151?  It has a GM bell housing bolt pattern.  There would be alot more options for tranys then.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 12:14:05 PM by thenderson »

Offline Rubicon Josh

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 12:10:04 PM »
I can't give you any advise about the XJ, but I am interested in your trip to the Yukon. I have kinda mapped out a trip for this summer that takes me up to the Yukon and makes a loop through B.C. on the return trip, but I don't know anyone who has been up there before so I don't know what to expect. I'm taking my 2003 Rubicon and will be running a 4 inch lift with 36" Iroks. Any thoughts about the trip?
First completed AEV Rubicon in Alberta and only the fourth in Canada!

thenderson

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
I have never been out that way.  I moved to Calgary a year ago from Manitoba.  I had been planning a wheeling trip from Gillam to Churchill.  Which would be a way harder trip 100% wheeling.  But now that I'm in Calgary that trip is too far.  Plus a trip to the Yukon would be much simpler and essayer for my first long trip like that.  Sorry I dint have any advice for you but I would love to hear how your trip goes and any tips you might have.

born2jeep

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 12:22:37 PM »
My 4 banger rant is from YJs and TJs, but I would think the same would apply to the cherokee. I'm also judging because just how rare a 4 cyl XJ is.

If your looking for economy I would look into a small diesel to swap in. I think the libertys get about 30 MPG on the highway?

Sam

thenderson

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 12:28:30 PM »
How expensive do you think that swap would be.  How were the diesels that came in the "80s XJs?  I want to find the right rig with most of the Drivetrain components already there so I can cut down of costs and spend more money on add ons.  I don't want to use up most of my budget on the driveline.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 12:35:26 PM »
Don't quot me but I do think the 4 cyl. where in 2 wheel drives only. I had a buddy back home that had a Cherokee 2 wd with a 4 cly and it was gutless.
What we need to know is what your budget is going to be. swapping engines and stuff can get really exceptive very quickly.
Have you also conceded getting a YJ or TJ already done and then building a off-road trailer to carry your stuff.
Another suggestion would be pending on how much on road you are going to be doing is take a set of ATs or road tiers all together and switch back and forth. I will help with milage.
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

thenderson

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 12:44:38 PM »
I don't relay like the idea of a trailer.  It will make more to worry about.  More to break down or get stolen.  I need a four door because this will be my only vehicle.  I want to be able to drive it while I am working on it.  This will be a work in progress.  I'm not sure of my budget but I do want to do it cost effectively.  I don't want to have a totally built vehicle that I can't sell.

thenderson

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 12:52:23 PM »
If you have any stories or tips for this trip please post here:

http://forum.calgaryjeep.com/index.php?topic=8622.0#new

Offline WagoneerXJ

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Bagon Wagon!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 01:16:02 PM »
Don't quot me but I do think the 4 cyl. where in 2 wheel drives only. I had a buddy back home that had a Cherokee 2 wd with a 4 cly and it was gutless.

Lots of 4cyl 4x4 cherokee's around. Mostly older ones though. Hell there are two for sale up my street, and one of em is actually FREE!

98 XJ Sport 2 Dr, 3", 33's and Bushwacker Flat Flares
87 XJ Wagoneer 5", Dana 44, 34" Swamper TSL's
97 TJ 5.2 Magnum V8 swap, 4" and 33" MTZ's- GF's Jeep
84 Mustang GT-Built 351W 5spd
97 XJ - 3.5", 31" BFG. 370,000 KMS and counting!

born2jeep

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 02:03:30 PM »
How expensive do you think that swap would be.  How were the diesels that came in the "80s XJs?  I want to find the right rig with most of the Drivetrain components already there so I can cut down of costs and spend more money on add ons.  I don't want to use up most of my budget on the driveline.

The diesels were very rare. I have only seen two of them. I heard that there were some reliability issues, and that parts are very hard to find.

I think you should start this project with a budget in mind. The difference between $3000 and $7000 could make a huge difference. For the cost of an engine swap I think it would take you quite some time to re-coup those costs in fuel savings. The swap could also leave you without a vehicle for a few weeks.

I think we all need to know what you want to spend before we could be of much help.

Sam

thenderson

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 02:43:50 PM »
The thing is I don't even know what I want yet.  I want an XJ because its SFA and four door.  Its a good platform for an expedition vehicle.  I just wanted to know what the best year and driveline was in an XJ  Then  I would weigh my options.  I was originally thinking 1986-87 with the 4banger, a 5speed and the OHV package would be best.  With the OHV you get the 4.10:1 axle gears and skid plates.  Now I'm not so sure.  I want the purchase of the vehicle to be reasonable so that I can have more money left for add ons.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 07:35:48 PM »
i know this is a jeep website... but have you considered a toyota landcruiser diesel? lots of them have been imported int ocalgary, they have low mileage, and ive seen them being sold for 10G. very affordable when you consider what you'll pay for an xj and swapping parts. just a thought.
if you are hardup for a jeep. id say stick with a 4.0L , ax-15, np231. look for hi pinion front dana 30(non vacuum disconnect) and rear chrysler 8.25. that will be your best bang for the buck. this combination occured around the 1995 and up model years.
all these options can be upgraded with better parts, ie. chromo shafts, lockers, gears, engine upgrades, better clutch, low range for the t/case. add a swing out tire carrier with two jerry can racks and you're set.
xj owners please confirm these options.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 08:05:07 PM »
'87 was the first year of the 4.0L previous to that used  GM 2.8. :P    '87 thru to late '89 used a Peugot 5spd(junk) tranny. Avoid. '1990 and up used the ax15 but had problems with leaky internal clutch slave cylinders. The AW4 is generally a better reliable choice, came with 3.55 gears as well so running bigger tires is an option without regearing vs the 5spds 3.07s. Around '92  (I think) the head and electronics were redone to the HO version.

Any year with a 4.0 auto is a good year and will give ok mileage. If you are REALLY concerned about mileage I would look for a diesel something or other.

What do you have thats a 4.0 now that gets crappy mileage? Also how much do you have to spend? A 2000ish Grand Cherokee with either the 4.0 or 4.7 would get not bad mileage and be a pretty wicked travel rig.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles