Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: YUKON OR BUST  (Read 2163 times)

thenderson

YUKON OR BUST
« on: April 01, 2008, 12:50:30 PM »
I am planning a trip to the Yukon and am wondering if anyone here has ever been.  Id like some tips on where to go and where not to go.  Id like to do some sight seeing as well as see some two track, mud, and rocks.  Any help would be great.

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: YUKON OR BUST
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 06:06:50 PM »
I spent a week up in Whitehorse during summer solsitce. Skunky little town but cool enough.

Sitting on the patio, enjoying a cold one in the the warm sunshine, when the server comes up and tells us it's last call.  22hrs of daylight screws ya up good.

There are a lot of hunters and trappers up there. The moose hunters have the big rigs, really big rigs.

If you do the Dempster (highway to Inuvik) you'd better be prepared. It's a monster.

thenderson

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 10:46:30 PM »
Tell me more.

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 08:41:18 PM »
Stop at Liard Hot Springs for at least 2 days. The water is awesome and wll worth the time there. We did the Demster Highway to Inuvik and must have  got a different impression of the trip I guess. We enjoyed it enough to schedule the Dalton Hihway to Prudoe Bay or at least Dead Horse a few years later. Unfortunately we ended up cutting the holiday shorter and only did the loop to Dawson City then over the Top of the World Highway to Tok.

If you don't mind gravel roads and dodging pot holes then the Dempster is a great trip. Remember though that it's 456 Miles (yes miles) one way and you have to return the same way.

Come back down the Cassier Highway north of Watson Lake, then south. The scenery along that highway was better that along most of the entire trip. We return on that highway everytime we go up north.

Best book to buy with out a doubt is "The Milepost". It gives you directions and scenic spots along the entire trip no mater what highway you hit up there. I set up our entire itinearies for the trips using that book all the time.

Offline johnny65

• Stocker
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 08:20:37 PM »
I live in Hay River NWT and go to the Yukon every chance I can.
Last year I drove my 83 CJ-7 over to the Yukon, down through Watson Lake, Dease Lake and came out at Kitwanga, then did the tourist trip to Vancouver island,  Duffy lake highway and then home.

I have travelled lots in the Yukon, and if you have the time you should visit Dawson City, and there is a loop from Whitehorse, to Haines Alaska, a short ferry ride to Skagway Alaska, then back to Whitehorse.
There is also an incredible road from Dease lake to Telegraph Creek. ( 130 kms mostly 1 lane gravel and lots of mountains.) Very few services at Telegraph Creek, but great scenery.

I have only a 54 liter fuel tank but did not have to use my jerry cans at all for gas.

Plan on staying a couple of days at Liard Hotsprings. There camping, motels and food/gas there.

If you have any questions email me @ hrfd_30@ hotmail.com

John
cj-7 in various states of disrepair
F-150 thats my DD