Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: to 4" lift or not?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Yellow RUBI

• Budget Lift
  • She Thinks My Tractions Sexy!
to 4" lift or not?
« on: October 23, 2008, 10:45:24 AM »
I'm thinking about buying a 4" OME Lift with shocks and adjustable trac bars, I'm wondering if I should go this route or not. I already have Adjustable control arms (not installed), I just installed my 1" body lift and mmlift , and then my 33 eng bellyup, I know I'll need a D/S, I'm just wondering if its to much. I have a set of 33s and I was gonna try to keep the CG as low as possible but... If I go with spring spacers I'll probably need a D/S anyway, I've no plans to go bigger than 33s.
 What do you guys running bigger lifts think?
Take a Compass!
Its Awkward when you have to eat your friends !

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
Re: to 4" lift or not?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 11:47:41 AM »
Go for the 2" OME and you should be good to go especially with the 1" BL.  My dad is running 33s with the RE 3.5" SF and no issues.  The 4" OME plus the 1" BL would be a little tall if you want to keep the COG low
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 12:32:46 PM »
I'm running 37's on 4.5" RE springs and an 1.25-1.5" body lift.  I'd say that 4" + 1" BL would be over kill for 33's. 

Scott's right... get the OME springs, combined with the body lift it should be enough to run 33's.  The body lift/mml will let you run that 33 Engineering skid with no spacers if you get their tranny mount.  Its not completely flat but its darn close. 
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 01:17:35 PM »
I'm thinking about buying a 4" OME Lift with shocks and adjustable trac bars, I'm wondering if I should go this route or not. I already have Adjustable control arms (not installed), I just installed my 1" body lift and mmlift , and then my 33 eng bellyup, I know I'll need a D/S, I'm just wondering if its to much. I have a set of 33s and I was gonna try to keep the CG as low as possible but... If I go with spring spacers I'll probably need a D/S anyway, I've no plans to go bigger than 33s.
 What do you guys running bigger lifts think?

I have the 2 1/2" OME springs but we ordered the heavier ZJ ones for the front and the Unlimited TJ ones for the rear. It gave me about 3" of lift with the weight of the winch on the front.  I am running 33" tires with some extra bump stop added.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 01:36:59 PM by 01sahara »
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 01:57:55 PM »
I would definately recommend staying under the 4". Blairs springs are a really good set up for 33's.

Rubi drivelines really dont like 33 eng tucks and 4" or more lift. Tends to blow the CV's a lot. Anything under 4" with a 33 works great.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Yellow RUBI

• Budget Lift
  • She Thinks My Tractions Sexy!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 06:25:34 PM »
I have the 2 1/2" OME springs but we ordered the heavier ZJ ones for the front and the Unlimited TJ ones for the rear. It gave me about 3" of lift with the weight of the winch on the front.  I am running 33" tires with some extra bump stop added.

Blair hows the ride on your Jeep with those springs?
If I order the 2.5" springs what else will I need other than shocks?
Take a Compass!
Its Awkward when you have to eat your friends !